Anatomy Lecutre Notes on October 3

4 Pages
Unlock Document

San Jose State University
Biological Sciences
BIOL 065
Dr.Joanne Kerr

Female Reproductive System and the Breast 1. Germinal Epithelium a. made of columnar epithelium b. 300,000 eggs (primordial follicles) from the yolk sac (through umbilical cord) c. cancer of ovaries start here 2. Primordial Follicles a. nothing happens until girl hits puberty b. Thecal cells form around the egg and Follicle will grow and some will die. c. Cells around follicle will release the egg 3. Corpus Lateum (yellow body) a. produced hormones essential to pregnancy, placenta growing, implanting (estrogen and progesterone) 4. Corpus Albican (white body) a. very large = pregnancy b. Corpus Luteum forms the Corpus Albicans either without successful fertilization or at the end of pregnancy 5. Ovaries thought to Alternate Ovulation: a. Women are fertile with only one ovary b. Timing of ovulation about every 28 days (may be longer or shorter) c. Each month several follicles begin to develop, they atrophy, undergo atresia and form atretic follicles d. About 400 OVa are ovulated in women's life time 6. Cysts a. very common in ovaries, not dangerous, because lots of fluid in ovaries b. cysts = ball of fluids c. when cysts are not reabsorbed, they can be painful and very large 7. Ovarian Cancer a. Spreads very easily b. Tumors divide fast throughout abdominal cavity c. Complications = very difficult d. Discovered late most of the time 8. Fallopian Tube a. Uterine Tubes or Oviduct b. Paired, extend from ovaries to the uterus c. Fingers catch the egg when ovulated d. Include cilia which helps move the egg to the uterus e. Smooth muscles help move the egg f. Fertilization usually occurs in fallopian tube g. There is a gap between ovary and fallopian Tube i. Opening towards Abdominal Cavity ii. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease 1. PID - skin disease that reaches the abdominal cavity 2. very bad and women can become infertile from the infection 9. Ectopic Pregnancies (out of place) a. Pregnancy outside the uterus b. Most common place: fallopian tubes (if the fallopian tube rupture, the mom will die) i. tube will grow, mom feels abdomen pain, tube will rupture ii. very common! iii. must remove child. 10. Birth Control a. Tubal Ligation i. Fallopian tubes are tied ii. tie and cut fallopian tube surgically iii. Pregnancy can still occur because sperms are smart and can swim around to find egg 11. Uterus a. smooth muscles contraction = menstrual cramps b. Pregnancy i. will expand ii. Delivery = uterus contractions very hard c. Very common place for cancer d. Papancoloau (PAP) Smears i. put scapula into vagina until stopped by cervix and wiggles it across cervix and collect squamous cells ii.
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 065

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.