History
Course
HIST 105
Professor
Brian Rouleau
Semester
Spring

Description
Feb. 4, 2014 The Atlantic Slave System I. Africa and Africans in the Making of the Atlantic World II. Slavery and the Transformation of Virginia ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I. Africa and Africans in the Making of the Atlantic World • Slaves are property, and cargo. • Africans enslaved their own people, not just the Europeans • Slave trade was across the Trans-Atlantic Ocean • 6 out of 7 people who crossed the Atlantic were slaves • This is the largest forced migration in human history • Slavery is what made colonization profitable • Crops (Tobacco, sugar, etc.) is what made the need for slaves such a big thing • Africans, themselves, controlled the means of the slave trade o Europeans didn't have the means to subdue the African peoples on their own. o The arrival of European customers turned an internal slave trade into an external one • Europeans have been enslaving e/o in Europe way before their arrival as customers in the Atlantic Slave Trade • Slavery was NOT a heritable condition (Passed on from mother to child) o There was a chance that their situation could always improve • The Royal African Company (1672-1698) o By the end of the 16th century, they were the dominant slave trading company II. Slavery and the Transformation of Virginia • Slavery in North America was characterized by: o Irrevocability -[once a slave, always a slave] o Heritability -[A condition passed down from mother to child] o Its raci
More Less

Related notes for HIST 105

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit