CFD 3240 Lecture Notes - Lecture 27: Reinforcement, Normative Social Influence, Active Listening

27 views3 pages

Document Summary

Problem ownership: to establish who owns the problem, one needs to determine who is distressed by the situation. In active listening, the parent listens to and reflects back (in the parent"s own words): the feelings of the child, the content of the child"s message the parent thinks is being expressed. Communication roadblocks: ordering, directing, commanding, warning, admonishing, threatening, moralizing, preaching, advising, giving suggestions or solutions, teaching, instructing, judging, criticizing, blaming, praising, buttering up, name call, ridiculing, interrupting, diagnosing, psychoanalyzing, reassuring, sympathizing, supporting, probing, questions, diverting, distracting, humoring. I-messages: when the parent owns the problem, an i-message is used to, express the parent"s feelings regarding the child"s behavior. I message are not blameful; hence, they are not you messages. I-messages have three parts: the feelings of the sender, the unacceptable behavior of the recipient, the tangible effect of the recipient"s behavior on the sender.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers