GEOG 131 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Heating Element, Electron Shell, Thermal Energy

16 views2 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

1: ability to do work b, change in energy = change in state c. i. Gas = more energy, atoms and molecules are more mobile c. ii. Solid state = atoms and molecules bond together c. iii. Liquid- enough energy to break bonds, nonrigid: kinetic d. i. Energy contained within molecular bonds potential, latent (hidden) e. ii. Stored energy: how is it measured temperature f. i. Thermal energy (heat transferred from higher temperature to lower temperature objects: warming. Gains energy from the surroundings: cooling h. i. Loss of energy to surroundings: 3 states of matter how does this relate to energy, solid, liquid, gas, heat and energy transfer, conduction a. i. Energy transferred via direct contact between warmer and cooler object a. ii. Ex- pot of water and put on stove, metal in pot that touches heating element transfer energy to water: radiation b. i. Atom- nucleus surrounded by electron shells with different levels of energy increase away from nucleus b. i. 2.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers