Head and Spine Injury
1) Initiate ERP
- Location of phone
- Directions to field/gym
- Phone number
- Call person/charge person
- Establish equipment needed
2) Gloves and visual scan
- Has play stopped?
- Safe for me?
- Safe for athlete?
- Rules of the sport?
3) Approach athlete and stabilize head on face side
- What happened?
- Open your eyes
** NO RESPONSE ** painful stimuli, pinch triceps or nailbeds.
- Where does it hurt? (1 red flag if they say back or neck)
- Move your fingers ( another red flag if they can’t move feet or squeeze hands)
- Trauma jaw thrust
- Trauma chin lift if helmet is on
- Mouth guard?
- Broken teeth?
- OPA if unconscious
- Take a deep breath, does it hurt? Any difficulty?
- 10 seconds
- 10 seconds
- Any irregularity in pulse?
- Major bleeds ?
- If they’re unconscious, we assume they have a spinal injury.
- If they are answering questions and are coherent, start with ruling out spinal
1) Check for neck/back pain 2) Is mechanism of injury for a spinal?
3) Palpate spine look for tenderness/pain/deformity
4) Cord sign
5) Bilateral numbness/tingling/burning
6) Quick sensation check on arms and legs bilateral
- SPINAL RULED OUT IF:
1) No mechanism of injury for spinal
2) No neck or back pain
3) No symptoms of spinal (tingling,burning,numbness)
4) No pain or abnormalities upon palpation of s