Study Guides (258,860)
CA (125,024)
McGill (5,035)
LIBA (3)
LIBA 202 (3)
Study Guide

LIBA 202- Final Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 52 pages long!)
Premium

52 Pages

Department
Liberal Arts
Course Code
LIBA 202
Professor
Matteo Soranzo

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 52 pages of the document.
McGill
LIBA 202
FINAL EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Lecture 1
September 5, 2017
Liberal Arts was considered essential for a free person.
Seven disciplines in liberal arts divided into two parts: Trivium & Quadrivium
Trivium arts (core): Humanities; grammar (Latin), logic and rhetoric
Quadrivium: Scientific; astronomy (most difficult and complex), math, music, geometry
Organization of Medieval Universities
Essential Chronology
400 BC - Great Victory in the Straits of Salamis
27 BC - year the Roman Empire was created
476 AD - Fall of Western Roman Empire
800 AD - Coronation of Charlemagne as Holy Roman Emperor
1453 AD - Fall of Constantinople/ Eastern Roman Empire
find more resources at oneclass.com
Lecture 2
September 7, 2017
Plato's Symposium
The first three speeches (Phaedrus, Pausanias and Eryximachus)
Genre: Dialogue
There is no distinction between form and content
Symposium (sym; together + posium; to drink) - a social gathering between male citizens with the intent
of drinking. Participation of female citizens was limited. The women's job was to entertain the male
citizens.
However, in Plato's dialogue the symposium they were not going to drink because they are already hung
over. It becomes a dry symposium (quite an oxymoron). Also, the female flute player was sent out rather
than entertaining them. It seemed to be a more serious symposium.
The lover is in the relationship for self gratification and to pass on knowledge to the boyfriend who is in
the relationship for the knowledge.
At a young age, a mother teaches her daughter how to cook and how to become a good wife. Women
were excluded from the more formal education the male citizens got and so were not as intellectually
grown as the opposite gender. This would explain why the men often looked for boyfriends they could
connect with on an intellectual level.
The events of the Symposium as narrated by Apollodorus is quite unreliable because he is reporting
what Aristodemus said he believes someone else said. Plato was probably trying to just give us different
perspectives on this event. THREE LAYERS OF THE SYMPOSIUM (what happened, what Aristodemus
remembered and what Apollodorus understood)
'Literary expression of the Socratic method of learning'
Helps us develop an opinion
Partake in an idea of truth
Questioig people’s assuptios
Topic of the symposium: LOVE
The speeches are in order of hierarchy.
1st speaker: Phaedrus
A eulogy, took a religious stance; praise to the god Love. His speech is nicely done but not more than
that, compliments love but fails to make a point, no reasoning, no structure, no substance. Poorly
argued. Backed his speech with love inspired heroism examples from a Greek mythology.
"Phaedrus' speech went rather like that..." Aristodemus did not give an exact account.
2nd speaker: Pausanias
Made a distinction between two types of love, common love (attracted to women as much as boys,
bodies over minds, attracted to partners with the least possible intelligence, effect of love: act without

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
[LIBA 202] Comprehensive fall guide including any lecture notes, textbook notes and exam guides.find more resources at oneclass.com Lecture 1 September 5, 2017 Liberal Arts was considered essential for a free person. Seven disciplines in liberal arts divided into two parts: Trivium & Quadrivium Trivium arts (core): Humanities; grammar (Latin), logic and rhetoric Quadrivium: Scientific; astronomy (most difficult and complex), math, music, geometry Organization of Medieval Universities Essential Chronology 400 BC - Great Victory in the Straits of Salamis 27 BC - year the Roman Empire was created 476 AD - Fall of Western Roman Empire 800 AD - Coronation of Charlemagne as Holy Roman Emperor 1453 AD - Fall of Constantinople/ Eastern Roman Empire find more resources at oneclass.com
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit