COMMERCE 3S03 Chapter Notes - Chapter 8: Discovery Family, Getting Things Done, Hard PowerExam
Course CodeCOMMERCE 3S03
ProfessorFrances L Tuer
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
1. 6 principles
1. link to higher purpose and values
2. help people like you; your friendly, and
people will give you things
3. rely on the rule of reciprocity; if you do
some1 a favour, they will do you a favour
4. develop allies; cant do things by yourself
5. Ask for what you want; can influence
people if they don't know what you want
6. Play up your expertise and credibility -
show them what you know
2. 7 Steps to
1. Use the right network
2. Don't shove products down other people's
throats; Volunteer (willing to give)
3. About words and keywords. Look for job
listing with the main words.
4. Remember that everyone is watching; let
your personality shine through but keep it
5. Anybody can get into your account and so
do companies ; you cane get fired if there is
something bad on your profile
6. Network with other people. Strategic
networking - respond to posts
7. Time management. Where does it make
sense to focus your time. if you're spending a
lot of time in your social social network then
allocate your time in other places
3. Broker - Sit between networks
- a liaison where you job could be between
-coordinates events with different networks
- your in the know & stuck in the middle bw
hubs and peripherals
4. Career can be part of work network. It's an industry
5. Expert power - power of knowledge. Not the world's expert
but knowing more
than other people.
6. Hard power Power that stems largely from a person's
position of authority
- Legitimate, reward and coercive power
- Defined largely by the organization's policies
- Managers cannot not rely solely on hard
power of their formal position to
7. Hub - person in the middle,
- have huge amounts of power
- Have top responsibility
- know everything about anything
- The role of formal education is to develop
- This is the investment we make in education
and trade - task success.
- Key to success for individual performers.
9. Learning to
Dig the Well
Don't wait until you have a need -
start now! Have conversations with people.
10. Learning to
goes back to Hubs. Who's connected with the
org? there are
some people that are very connected and
they may know a lot of people. They can
open doors for you and make things happen.
They can sponsor you and refer you.
Sometimes people start rising and then they're
on the way out. Informal power.
11. Learning to
don't go in unprepared. You may have a
perceptive on technology, markets, views of
12. Learning to
baby steps. If you go
"I want network of people that I can go to
when I want a job"
- that's too big! Just get to know the
organization. (small wins). Volunteer and get
involved (willing to help out). SMART goals.
3S03 - Chapter 8 : Getting Things Done Through Networks, Relationships,
And Soft Power
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version