PSYC 100 Study Guide - Final Guide: Pragmatics, Psych, Blood Sugar

99 views51 pages
salmonllama211 and 39398 others unlocked
PSYC 100 Full Course Notes
PSYC 100 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
65 documents

Document Summary

Communication: the imparting and exchanging of information or news: innate, any living thing that interacts with other living things are able to communicate, but communication is used in the present context. The difference between them is that language is done strictly by words and communication can be done in many different ways. Identify the three key properties of human language. Semantics: the relationship between words and their meanings. (crucial for comprehension: word definitions. The syntax or syntactical rules: of a language determine how we combine words to form phrases and sentences: i. e. i am at the store, i went to the store, i will go to the store. Describe the components of language: phonemes, morphemes, syntax, semantics, and pragmatics. Phonemes: are perceptually distinct unit of sound that serve to distinguish one word from another. Morphemes: the smallest meaningful units in a language. Syntax: of a language determine how we combine words to form phrases and sentences.