SOCY 303 Study Guide - Final Guide: Symbolic Interactionism, Sensemaking, Antipositivism

35 views4 pages

Document Summary

Socy 303 lecture # 11 (week 6: last time, mid-term, schleef (2000) Motivations for pursuing professional work: deciding to go to professional school (schleef 2000, why do individuals decide to attend law schools, business schools, motivations for entering law school: I wanted to be a doctor so i figure that"s a good way of earning good money and helping people at the same time. My daughter"s in law school", so that pushes me, too (p. 162). These students" choice of professional schools was a seamless one, going with the grain of others" expectations. An interpretive approach to understanding access to professions. Interpretivism: opposite of positivism, subjective meaning over social laws, grasp the participants" point of view, researchers should have empathy, symbolic interactionism. Taking the role of the others (mead) Constant interpretation of symbolic meaning of environment. Goal to understand the interpretation: ontological considerations.