MUS 505 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: African-American Music, Big Band, Human Voice

246 views16 pages
13 Mar 2019
Department
Course

Document Summary

Instrumentation: the banjo and fiddle are african-american instruments, the latin american stream (various dance musics mentioned, 1900s cuban contradanza, influences american music/early jazz, the latin tinge, 1910s tango, 1930s rumba, 1950s mambo, 1960s bossa nova. Us : begins to be seen as racist and tapers off in the 80s, vaudeville takes over. Other overarching themes: mainstream america"s fascination with african american music and culture begins with minstrelsy. Indie labels begin recording local acts, finding new talent (hillbilly music: cultural translation: historically, marginal musics (like race and hillbilly) need interpreters or cultural translators when they are first introduced to mainstream culture. Aa listeners: hillbilly or old-time records- recordings of performances by southern white musicians produced for sale to southern white listeners, ralph peer, talent scout, coined race music term. The blues: 12-bar blues form: i i i i / iv iv i i / v v i i, is a certain arrangement of 3 phrases of 4 beat bars.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers