Premium

6 Pages

Department
Planning
Course Code
PLG 500
Professor
Matthias Sweet

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Advanced Theory Essay Layout
Q1. Of the prescriptive planning models, which one resonates most with you as a prospective
practitioner? In short: according to you, which one is the best? Why this one and not the
others? Logically build your argument.
Intro
- In my view, the most pragmatic and applicable planning model is communicative action.
- Compared to other planning models such as RDM it acknowledges the complexity of
problems and the unique environment in which they occur.
- Rarely in planning do we have a great deal of information present in order to make an
ideal choice. Instead communicative action offers multiple possibilities and choices for a
course of action due to the complex and changing nature in the field of planning.
- Communicative action also characterizes good communication as a means of facilitating
discussion as well as educating citizens on the planning process.
- This theory is non-rational in nature and thus avoids relying on rational analysis in a
non-rational and sometimes unpredictable field of planning.
Body
- Planner as the facilitator offers a broader level of community input
o Tackling problems from an emic (insider) view point
- Rarely in planning is the situation or scenario optimal to make the perfect decision
o CA deals with uncertaity i hagig eiroets ad realizes there is o oe
truth
o Multiple courses of action for each scenario
- Role of planners can be mediators and facilitators
o Good communication as being: comprehensible, sincere, legitimate, and true
o Address power imbalances (access, info, expertise) threaten quality of planning
outcomes
o Develop mutually agreed upon consensus for differing interests
Educate the public with technical and political info
- Reogizes searios are’t alays optial or is there a lot of info required such as
RDM, Strategic, and Design.
- Copared to ireetalis it does’t eessarily ie plaig fro a hat orked
last tie approah ad thus offers ultiple solutios to a gie prole.
Conclusion
- This model enables planners to engage with stakeholders and obtain information which
is true, sincere, and legitimate in nature.
- In comparison to other models it attempts to actually educate the public so as to foster
consensus between groups of different interests. In this way, planners act as the vehicle
for change.
find more resources at oneclass.com
- Overall, communicative action realizes that planning is messy and non-rational in nature
and therefore addresses problems in a complex environment.
- For these reasons, communicative action is the most pragmatic and realistic planning
model.
Q2: Pick one of the following issues and explain what planners can contribute which cannot
be contributed by economists, engineers, or sociologists. Logically build your argument.
1. Climate Change
2. Housing
3. Dealing with autonomous vehicles
Climate Change Summary
Intro
Climate change is the change in climate patterns largely due to high levels of carbon
dioxide in the atmosphere.
Climate change is going to have a major impact on the world. Impacts include:
o Same amount of severe storms but at much higher intensities.
o Warming climate
o Melting snow and ice
o Sea level rise.
o Droughts and Heat waves
Where we reside in Toronto, Ontario, the main effect we will see from climate change is
mass flooding.
With ireasig GHG’s, gloal arig otiues uaated. A result of this is ireased
precipitation.
Models suggest Toronto will not escape this and as a result future years suggest
continued flooding.
Planners play important roles in how climate change impacts may be addressed/
mitigated
Body
Through adaptation measures, planners can strategically plan cities, towns,
municipalities etc. to lesser the effects climate change will have on the environment,
society, and the economy
o Building on higher lands (not floodplains), increase of trees for the use of cooling
the lands, regulations regarding emissions while developing land, etc.
o Development and alteration are not permitted within the floodway unless it does
not affect the flood flows (The Living City Policies, 2014)
o Floodplain management applied to existing flood prone communities.
- Climate proofing vulnerable infrastructure located in hazard areas.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Advanced Theory Essay Layout Q1. Of the prescriptive planning models, which one resonates most with you as a prospective practitioner? In short: according to you, which one is the best? Why this one and not the others? Logically build your argument. Intro In my view, the most pragmatic and applicable planning model is communicative action. Compared to other planning models such as RDM it acknowledges the complexity of problems and the unique environment in which they occur. Rarely in planning do we have a great deal of information present in order to make an ideal choice. Instead communicative action offers multiple possibilities and choices for a course of action due to the complex and changing nature in the field of planning. Communicative action also characterizes good communication as a means of facilitating discussion as well as educating citizens on the planning process. This theory is nonrational in nature and thus avoids relying on rational analysis in a nonrational and sometimes unpredictable field of planning. Body Planner as the facilitator offers a broader level of community input o Tackling problems from an emic (insider) view point Rarely in planning is the situation or scenario optimal to make the perfect decision o CA deals with uncertainty in changing environments and realizes there is no one truth o Multiple courses of action for each scenario Role of planners can be mediators and facilitators o Good communication as being: comprehensible, sincere, legitimate, and true o Address power imbalances (access, info, expertise) threaten quality of planning outcomes o Develop mutually agreed upon consensus for differing interests Educate the public with technical and political info Recognizes scenarios arent always optimal nor is there a lot of info required such as RDM, Strategic, and Design. Compared to incrementalism it doesnt necessarily view planning from a what worked last time approach and thus offers multiple solutions to a given problem. Conclusion This model enables planners to engage with stakeholders and obtain information which is true, sincere, and legitimate in nature. In comparison to other models it attempts to actually educate the public so as to foster consensus between groups of different interests. In this way, planners act as the vehicle for change.
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit