Premium

2 Pages

Department
Human Resources and Organizational Behaviour
Course Code
HROB 2090
Professor
Bahramirad

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Chapter 8 Social Influence, Socialization, and Organizational Culture Definitions
Information Dependence – reliance on others for information about how to think, feel and act
Social Information Processing Theory – Information from others is used to interpret events
and develop expectations about appropriate and acceptable attitudes and behaviours
Effect Dependence – reliance on others due to their capacity to provide rewards and
punishment
Compliance – Conformity to a social norm prompted by the desire to acquire rewards or avoid
punishment
Identification – Conformity to a social norm prompted by perceptions that those who promote
the norm are attractive or similar to oneself
Internalization - Conformity to a social norm prompted by true acceptance of the beliefs,
values, and attitudes that underlie the norm
Socialization – the process by which people learn the attitudes, knowledge, and behaviours that
are necessary to function in a group or organization
Person-Job fit – The match between an employee’s knowledge, skills and abilities and the
requirements of a job
Person-Organization fit – The match between an employee’s personal values and the values of
the organization
Organizational Identification – The extent to which individuals define themselves in terms of
the organization and what it is perceived to represent
Psychological Contract - Beliefs held by employees regarding the reciprocal obligations and
promises between then and their organizations
Psychological Contract Breach – Employee perceptions that his / her organization has failed
to fulfill one or more of its promises or obligations in the psychological contract
Realistic Job Previews – The provision of a balanced, realistic picture of the positive and
negative aspects of a job to applicants
Employee Orientation Programs – Programs designed to introduce new employees to their
job, the people they will be working with and the organization
Realistic Orientation Program for Entry Stress (ROPES) – An orientation program that is
designed to teach newcomers coping techniques to manage workplace stressors
Socialization Tactics – The manner in which organizations structure the early work experiences
of newcomers and individuals who are in transition from one role to another.
Mentor - An experienced or more senior person in the organization who gives a junior person
guidance and special attention, such as giving advice and creating opportunities to assist him or
her during the early stages of his or her career

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 8 Social Influence, Socialization, and Organizational Culture Definitions Information Dependence reliance on others for information about how to think, feel and act Social Information Processing Theory Information from others is used to interpret events and develop expectations about appropriate and acceptable attitudes and behaviours Effect Dependence reliance on others due to their capacity to provide rewards and punishment Compliance Conformity to a social norm prompted by the desire to acquire rewards or avoid punishment Identification Conformity to a social norm prompted by perceptions that those who promote the norm are attractive or similar to oneself Internalization Conformity to a social norm prompted by true acceptance of the beliefs, values, and attitudes that underlie the norm Socialization the process by which people learn the attitudes, knowledge, and behaviours that are necessary to function in a group or organization PersonJob fit The match between an employees knowledge, skills and abilities and the requirements of a job PersonOrganization fit The match between an employees personal values and the values of the organization Organizational Identification The extent to which individuals define themselves in terms of the organization and what it is perceived to represent Psychological Contract Beliefs held by employees regarding the reciprocal obligations and promises between then and their organizations Psychological Contract Breach Employee perceptions that his her organization has failed to fulfill one or more of its promises or obligations in the psychological contract Realistic Job Previews The provision of a balanced, realistic picture of the positive and negative aspects of a job to applicants Employee Orientation Programs Programs designed to introduce new employees to their job, the people they will be working with and the organization Realistic Orientation Program for Entry Stress (ROPES) An orientation program that is designed to teach newcomers coping techniques to manage workplace stressors Socialization Tactics The manner in which organizations structure the early work experiences of newcomers and individuals who are in transition from one role to another. Mentor An experienced or more senior person in the organization who gives a junior person guidance and special attention, such as giving advice and creating opportunities to assist him or her during the early stages of his or her career
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit