Kinesiology
Course
KIN 190
Professor
Blythe Nielson
Semester
Fall

Description
Learning expectations for BIOL 131. Chapters 13, Brain You should be able to: • Place the brain with respect to the nervous system (where is it and to what does it connect). - Part of CNS contained in cranium, control centre, cranial nerves part of PNS, arise from brain/brainstem • Know the names and basic roles of the parts of the brain: brainstem, cerebrum. Cerebellum, diencephalon (thalamus and hypothalamus). NOTE: I made a mistake when I said diencephalon = midbrain. Oops. The developing embryonic brain has a forebrain, a midbrain and a hindbrain region. The diencephalon is part of the forebrain but BECAUSE IT’S IN THE MIDDLE of the adult brain I often say “midbrain” with out using my “forebrain“. - Brainstem: connects spinal cord to brain, integration of survival reflexes - Cerebellum: involved in control of locomotion, posture, balance - Cerebrum: conscious thought, control Diencephalon: thalamus(influences mood), hypothalamus(maintains homeostasis), subthalamus(nerve tracts/nuclei), epithalamus(nuclei responding to olfactory stimulation) • Differentiate between spinal and cranial nerves. - • State where the nervous system and neural crest cells originate in the embryo. - neural plate forms ectoderm - neural folds form as parallel ridges along embryo, midline depression becomes neural groove - neural crest cells break away from crest of neural folds, crest cells give rise to sensory/autonomic neurons in PNS, melanocytes, facial bones, dentin in teeth - neural folds meet at midline to form neural tube, becomes brain/spinal cord • Be able to locate major brain structures on a diagram. • Know the locations and roles of all of the parts of the brainstem. - Medulla oblongada: regulates heart rate, bv diameter, respiration, swallowing, vomiting (pyramids: descending nerve tracts, fibers dessucate/each half of the brain controls opposite side of body, olives: rounded nuclei control balance, coordination) - Pons: sleep centre, respiratory centre coordinates with centre in medulla - Midbrain: lost of nuclei, some tracts • Define “reticular formation” and state what it does. - Group of nuclei scattered throughout brain stem, controls cyclis activity cycles (sleep-wake) • Describe the cerebellum, noting features and their roles. - Contains groups of neuro axons that communicate with other parts of brain, contains gray/white matter to connect to eachother/brain stem and spinal cord, folded cortex (white matter resembling tree: arbor vitae) - Purkinje cells: largest in CNS, receives 200000synapses, inhibitory - Balance, eye movements, muscle memory, poster, locomotion • Describe the roles of the pineal gland, the thalamus and the hypothalamus. - Pineal gland: influences sleepiness, regulates biological clock, onset of puberty - Thalamus gland: motor function, mood modification, emotion regulation - Hypothalamus: olfactory reflexes, emotional responses to odors, controls endocrine system, efferent fibers to brainstem control swallowing/shivering, regulates mood, sexual pleasure, etc. • Describe the cerebellum, including the lobes and their functions, connections, regi
More Less

Related notes for KIN 190

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit