AST Review Questions From Chapter 1-5
DepartmentAstronomy & Astrophysics
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
- Tidal friction slowed rotation period until it matched orbital period
When someone observes the moon in 1st Quarter phase, the moon observes the
- In the 3rd Quarter Phase
What is true about the moon?
- The moon goes through a cycle of phases because it always has the
same side facing the Earth
Which object has the most kinetic energy?
- Ek = ½ mv^2 Æ Apply this
Gravitational Potential Energy
- Depends on Mass and Distance from Ground
- Nuclear Fusion of Hydrogen
- Orbital period and distance of one of JXSLWHU·VPRRQV
How does Orbital Period relate to average distance?
- Orbital Period = 2 x Average Distance ; P = 8, d avg = 4 AU
Temp = Average Kinetic Energy
Sublimation = Solid Phase to Gas Phase
Why is there not a solar eclipse at every full moon?
- 5 dHJUHHWLOWRI0RRQ·VRUELWWR(FOLSWLFSODQH
Centre of Mass of a Binary Star system
- Point at which both masses would balance if connected
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version