Cell & Microscopy
Microcopy is observing the cell structure and cellular mechanisms
Need to learn how to determine the Koehler illumination
Part 1 Protocol-Adjusting your microscope for Koehler illumination
Koehler illumination allows bright and even illumination across a specimen
It will maximize the resolution
1. Begin with x10 objective and turn the microscope on
2. Test the distance between the ocular lens
Adjust the focus adjustment knob
Adjustment for Koehler illumination
1. Open the field iris diaphragm and condenser iris diaphragm
2. Move condenser up close and slide the condenser focus knob
3. Close the filed iris diaphragm.
4. Open field diaphragm to focus.
5. Close the condenser iris diaphragm until image darkens.
Part 2 Protocol- Calibrating your microscope
Magnification of an image
Magnification= size of image (mm)/Actual size of the penny (mm)
Small tiny ruler in the microscope’s oculars
1. A stage micrometer is usually 1mm in length separated into 100 equal
2. Replace your specimen with the stage micrometer slide
3. Calculate length of individual division