BIOL 1000 Study Guide - Final Guide: Cellular Respiration, Thylakoid, Mitochondrion

155 views7 pages

Document Summary

Cell theory: all organisms are composed of one or more cells, the cell is the basic structural and functional unit of all living organisms, cells arise only from the division of pre-existing cells. If cells are broken open, the property of life is lost. Cells are bounded by the plasma membrane: bilayer made of lipids with embedded protein molecules, hydrophobic barrier, e(cid:373)i per(cid:373)ea(cid:271)le (cid:373)ai(cid:374)tai(cid:374)s the spe(cid:272)ialized i(cid:374)ter(cid:374)al io(cid:374)i(cid:272) a(cid:374)d (cid:373)ole(cid:272)ular environments required for cellular life. Central region of the cell: contains dna molecules, genes: segments of dna that code for individual proteins, contains proteins that help maintain the dna structure and enzymes that duplicate dna and copy its information into rna. Prokaryotic cells: three common shapes: spherical, rodlike and spiral, does not contain a nucleus, has a nucleoid: dna-containing central region of the cell that has no boundary membrane separating it from the cytoplasm.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers