Economics
Course
ECON 1010
Professor
Xueda Song
Semester
Winter

Description
Chapter 20 Measuring GDP and Economic Growth Gross Domestic Product GDP= Gross domestic product -market value of the final goods and services produced within a country a given time period. -total income and total expenditure is also measured (i) Market value -The market value of the product is examined ie. If price of an apple is 10 cents than the price of 5 apples is $5. (ii) Final goods and services -The final good (or service) is an item that is bough by its final user. Intermediate good (or service): item that is produced by one firm bought by another firm and used as a component of a final good or service. -Ford truck is FINAL good, but the Firestone tire on the truck is an INTERMEDIATE good. -Dell computer is a final good, but an Intel Pentium chip is an INTERMEDIATE good. -Only final goods are taken into account because we added value of intermediate goods and services produced to the value of final goods & services than we will be Double counting. *Since value of truck includes value of tires, and computer includes value of chip. *Stocks, bonds, financial assets & second hand goods, used cars or existing homes are not FINAL OR INTERMEDIATE PRODUCTS. *A second hand good was part of GDP in the year it was produced, but not the current year. so if it was produced in 2009 it will be counted but not in 2010. (iii) Produced within a country - Only things that are produced within a country are counted as part of country’s GDP. (iv) Given time period -Measured either QUARTER GDP (6 months) or ANNUAL GDP (1 year) GDP and the circular Flow of Expenditure and Income Households and firms: Households sell resources (labour) to business firms In return, firms pay income to households (wages, rent for use of land , interest for the use of the capital) -Fourth factor of production, entrepreneurship receives the profit. 1 Aggregate Expenditures: total income received by households including retained services. 1. Consumption Expenditures (C): Personal expenditures on consumer goods and services by households. - The purchase of a new car by a Canadian household ; Haircuts. -Does not include the purchase of new homes. - New homes are part of investment 2. Business Expenditures (I): -Firms purchase of plant, equipment and buildings which are part of investment -Expenditures on new homes by households is included -Purchase of a car by a company is considered business investment -Includes additions to the business inventories -if company produces 1,000 cars and sold 950 cars; the other 50 unsold cars are added to the inventory which is part of business inventories. 3. Government Expenditures (G): Government (federal , provincial and local) spending on goods & services from firms using the money from taxes. The taxes are not part of the Circular flow of expenditure and income. -Expenditure on natural defence & garbage collection -They do not include transfer payments because they are not purchases of goods and services. - Net Taxes (NT) = Taxes paid to government – Transfer payments received from governments -Transfer payments cash transfers from governments to households and firms Governments also make financial transfers to households, such as (i) social security benefits (ii) unemployment benefits (iii) subsides to firms (Subsides= financial assistance) 4. Rest of the World -Firms in Canada sell goods and services to the rest of the world (Exports) and buy goods (Imports) -The value of (X) minus the value of imports (M) is called net exports [X-M] -If positive (+) then the flow of goods & services is from Canadian firms to the rest of the world -If negative then it’s from rest of the world to Canadian firms. Aggregate Expenditures or Total expenditures = C+I +G + (X-M) 2 GDP measured in two ways: (I) Total expenditure on goods and services (II) Total income earned producing goods and services Aggregate Incomes (Y): Income earned producing goods and services. Y= C + I + G + (X-M) GDP equals aggregate expenditure and aggregate income Firms pay out incomes for people and firms receive money from the sales of their products therefore aggregate income = aggregate expenditure. Capital = The plants, equipment, buildings, inventories of raw materials & semi-finished goods. -It is used to produce other goods and services. Gross= before subtracting the depreciation Net= after subtracting depreciation Depreciation= decrease in value of a firms capital that results from wear and tear and obsolescence. obsolescence (means when the service is not needed even though fully functional for e.g DVD is preferred over Video caste , therefore video caste not being used is obsolescence) -Depreciation =capital consumption Total amount on both spending & buying new capital and replacing depreciation capital is called gross investment. The amount by which the value of capital increases is called net investment. -Stock of the capital increases through new investment year to year. Net investment = Gross investment - Depreciation Example: Company buys 5 NEW planes and retires 2 Old planes Gross investment = 5 new airplanes Depreciation = 2 Old planes Net Investment= 3 New planes -GDP grows because capital stock grows. Investment is added to the capital so GDP grows because of investment. 3 Measuring Canada’s GDP To measure GDP, statistics Canada uses two approaches (I) The expenditure approach (II) The income approach (I) THE EXPENDITURE APPROACH GDP= Y = C + I + G + (X-M) The largest component of GDP from the expenditure approach is expenditures on consumer goods and services. -In 2004, GDP measured by the expenditure approac
More Less

Related notes for ECON 1010

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit