hit, crunch and burn: organized violence and mens sport

3 Pages

Department
Kinesiology & Health Science
Course Code
KINE 1000
Professor
Hernan Humana

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
Hit Crunch and Burn Organized Violence and Mens Sporty Media forcefed the OJ Simpson trial to North Americans y Public distracted by this trial Displayed ugly attitudes with respect to race sex and gender and bred cynicism about the police and justice systems y During months of trial OJ battled white police detective Mark Fuhrman Black civil rights vs white supremacy y OJ SimpsonMark Fuhrman shared one ideologymight equals right survival of the fittest rugged individualism and Coercive entitlementwinner takes allThis ideology was shared through gender ideals and behavior y Both men engaged in violence during their career as well in their real life Both men expected respect and reward for their violence Saw themselves as masculine warriors y Mike Tyson like other athletes was rewarded for violence within the rules of the game then despised when that violence spilled over into real life y Mike Tyson was rewarded for being violent and as a result couldnt differentiate between when violence was appropriate boxing and when it wasnt and to what extent o Quoted to say I like to hurt women when I make love to them and I like to hear them scream with painto see them bleedit gives me pleasure o Bit off Evender Holyfields ear when he was about to lose a fight to him y Media exploit the charismatic celebrity of violent hypermasculine sport heroes These men get away with more violence in real lifey Society approves of violent behavior in sanctioned arenas and condemns these behaviors in official policy y Sport celebrates force pain and aggression and this is rarely acknowledge
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit