Test 3

4 Pages

Department
Music
Course Code
MUSI 2520
Professor
Ron Westray

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Test 3The Griots of West Africa had a vocal style similar to modern day rappersoThey had the Jamaican tradition of toasting boasting impromptu poetry spoken over musicHiphop started in New York City around the mid1970s amongst AfricanAmericans and Latino AmericansWhen the historical aftershocks of urban withdrawal resegregation and capital flight settled a new social and economic order had emerged in AmericaoIt was at this time that hiphop was conceivedEssentials1 RappingEmceeing2 DJing samplingbeat making3 Breaking BboyBGirls 4 Graffiti5 BeatboxingRapping is the rhythmic spoken delivery of rhymes and wordplay played out withwithout accompanimentIn the 1970s rappers were replaced by emceesoEmcees are more lyrical and rap over more complex beatsoThey are more metaphorical and rhythmically complexoSome examples of emcees Grandmaster Flash Rakim Chuck D KRSOne Mellie MelCultural foundations of rapping comes from several sources rhyming storytelling poetry and comedy Chris Rock Dave Chappelle Eddie Murphy Redd Foxx Richard PryorDJing is the art of mixing cutting scratching spinning and samplingLooping mixing and remixing are concepts that were brought over from Jamaican dub musicThe original DJ is considered to be DJ Kool Herc Clive CampbelloHe belongs to the Bronx movement is considered to be an originator of hiphop and is JamaicanbornBreaking is the dance equivalent to rapOriginates from the east coastPeople who practice breaking are called BBoys and BGirls The B stands for break which is the part of the song where they would dance toTwo notable crews from NYC are The Rock Steady Crew and The New York City BreakersGraffiti is the visual equivalent to rapBombing Covering an entire train car with graffitiFade Using a graduation of colours in an artists graffitiFamilies Rows of graffiti of the same namecrewFloaters Graffiti done at window level so it seems like its floatingFreights Graffiti done on railroad freight carsA notable graffiti artist is Taki 183 who gets the first part of his name from the Greek alternative to his birth name Demetrius The latter part of his name comes from his street in Washington Heights 183
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit