- Neoliberalism: a political orientation originating in the 1960s; blends liberal political
views with an emphasis on economic growth. The least government interference/control
A political point of view which favors minimum government interference, which puts
lower taxation on citizens.
- Class conflict theory: is the tension or antagonism which exists in society due to
competing socioeconomic interests and desires between people of different classes.
Struggle between those who are in power over the people contributing the labour.
- Structural functionalism: is a framework for building theory that sees society as a
complex system whose parts work together to promote solidarity and stability. EX: each
organs in the human body working together to create harmony.
- Organic solidarity/mechanic solidarity
- Patriarchy: Men’s dominance over women.
- Mode of production
- Trickle down economy
- Ideology: The body of ideas reflecting the social needs and aspirations of an individual,
group, class, or culture. Belief system.
1. A system of ideas and ideals, esp. one that forms the basis of economic
or political policy: "the ideology of republicanism".
2. The ideas and manner of thinking of a group, social class, or individual:
"a critique of bourgeois ideology".
Ideology: ideas and beliefs that circulate that makes human nature seem normal. It makes the
nasty destruction created by human to seem natural by referring it to human nature.
• Human nature is the main behaviours that define human beings.
• There are many common beliefs about what is human nature: we are nasty, aggressive,
• We live in a military culture, we celebrate warriors and violence.
• The heroes that stand over a long period of time are those that promote peace. Humans aren’t the same as animals…
• Humans are unique in the animal kingdom
• Humans have consciousness, they have a sense of ethics, morality. Humans are not
programed in the same way.
• Their difference between animals is that we live in a socially constructed society. We live
in the world of our own making.
Human nature is made up of a number of factors…
• Humans are aggressive and violent
• Humans can be understood solely on the basis of biology (well you can’t, its only one
• Human nature have different characteristics, we have innate temperaments, personality,
emotional characteristics, not purely biological. Human behaviours gets passed down
through the genes. What happens to the women, her children will inherit that.
• What is about human biology that makes up unique?
• Bipedalism! Hands can construct society
• We have unique language and communication skills – complex verbal language
• Complex brain gives us the capacity to think and figure out the world so we can
manipulate it and survive better.
• Long life span
• Omnivorous, flexibility of our diet
• Ideas circulate that humans have killer instincts
• If humans have instincts, then why do some people become traumatized after killing.
• Humans have deep forces (instincts) but we can overcome them, we can resist them.
• Instincts cannot be overcome by forces of will, but humans can.
• Instincts are fixed and drives are flexible
Biological determinism: a way of learning through human beings (all beings) just by looking at
its biological made. It is an ideology
When people are exposed to carcinogens, they can develop cancer. Cancer is not only genetic.
Scientific racism Sociobiology
- Desmin Moris the naked ape
- Women with wider hips will not die giving birth
Not all human being are monsters
Humans have sociology and cooperation skills
Humans are social animals
Monkeys choose comfort and nurture over food
Humans that are denied socialization with other caring beings and their isolation, they become
Humans are creatures of learning, they need to be taught how to behave and act
If humans aren’t taught how to speak, they are never gonna be able to speak.
Human nature is based on cultural influences
When human beings are raised in poverty, nutrient deficiency, these have long life
Instincts vs. drive
• Human can overcome and resist instincts.
• Drive is a biological force
Social Darwinism (how his selection applies to our society)
• An ideology that is used to justify social inequality as a selection process by natural
laws, where the poor are poor because they are weak, and the rich are rich because
they are smarter, or more fit.
• Social inequality is based on your biological state
• Ideology: is a set of ideas or way of thinking that is used to justify, legitimate and support
on unequal social system
A way of learning through human beings (all beings) just by looking at its biological made. It is
an ideology. Competition vs. cooperation
• Refer the film candy sharing
Kit 6 & 7
Socialization agents: schools, family, religion, legal system, mass media
Patriarchy: a culture or society that favours power to men.
Animalizing of the human
A lot of animals live in harmony, cooperate
We should try to resist falling in to certain claims that are universal of human system (but
humans are flexible)
In order to understand human nature we should look at the dominant institutions (patriarchal
Socialization relates to identity
The Creation of Patriarchy
Patriarchy is a history creation
Patriarchy appeared as the hierarchy state
Commodified: given a monetary or exchange value. Female become the property of men
Warrior in patriarchy, celebrates war, seen as a form of power
Class conflict between genders
When you control something you destroy its cultural practices
Patriarchy can only function with cooperation from women
Gender indoctrination: stronger word for socialization
Discount women by using nasty words
Women don’t have economic and political power
Awarding class privileges to conforming women
Women internalize the idea of their own inferior
Patriarchy is the system of power and the mothers promote this
Women are defined as evil Film (The Human Race) notes:
When human beings get together in large group, they behave very badness
Imbalance of power happens with the inequality of men and women
Male also change in the way we behave with each other