RIM 1020 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: William Randolph Hearst, John Peter Zenger, The Saturday Evening Post

79 views1 pages
25 Jul 2017
School
Course
Professor
AMERICAN MEDIA AND SOCIAL INSTITUTIONS
RIM/JOUR/EMC 1020
Dr. Dougan
Study Guide
Exam #3
Caution: This guide is not meant to be definitive, but rather, comprehensive. It is designed
to provide you with a way to organize your study. The best way of preparing for exams in
this class is to keep up with the reading and take good notes. Again, I recommend study
groups as an excellent way to understand the material.
Reading: Chapters 8 (and some of Chapter 14, The Culture of Journalism), 9 & 10
Helpful (I hope) advice: If a chapter contains a timeline, I would make sure I had a degree of
familiarity with the dates. It’s not that I have a lot of questions that require dates for the answer
(I’m more likely to ask you about a particular decade) but knowing dates may help you figure out
a correct answer. Also, I like to phrase questions in this manner: Which ONE of the following is
NOT true. It’s a slightly more challenging way of testing what you know and how you
understand it. As you’re reading the book, pay attention to any boldfaced terms and their
definitions that’s an excellent resource from which I can create questions.
Chapter 8 (Newspapers/Journalism): Ben Franklin, John Peter Zenger, Partisan Press,
importance of the Penny Press, wire services (how did they change reporting), yellow journalism
(origin of term, importance of publishers Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst),
importance of Nellie Bly, Adolph Ochs and the New York Times, objective journalism, what is
news? Values in American journalism (for example: neutrality, ethnocentrism, small-town
pastoralism, individualism), alternative journalism (Dorothy Day, I.F. Stone), and gonzo
journalism (Hunter S. Thompson), the Village Voice, USA Today, Reddit, Americans faith in
newspapers
Chapter 9 (Magazines): Origin of word magazine, Daniel Defoe’s Review, Saturday Evening
Post and arrival of the “national magazine,” Norman Rockwell, muckraking journalism, general
interest magazines, significance of photojournalism, decline of general interest publications and
rise of specialty magazines, importance of Rolling Stone, Playboy, Cosmo, and MS, magazines
and the web Slate and Salon, Rolling Stone cover controversy and controversy over University
of Virginia rape story
Chapter 10 (Books): Papyrus, vellum, parchment, codex, paper making, early printing, the
development of popular literature, Thomas Paine’s Common Sense, Influential events that impact
publishing, major categories of modern publishing, corporations that dominate modern book
publishing, book superstores, independent booksellers, E-publishing, trends in book publishing
(television and film, Oprah, celebrity authors), banned books/censorship, graphic novels, the
significance of Maus
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get OneClass Grade+

Unlimited access to all notes and study guides.

Grade+All Inclusive
$10 USD/m
You will be charged $120 USD upfront and auto renewed at the end of each cycle. You may cancel anytime under Payment Settings. For more information, see our Terms and Privacy.
Payments are encrypted using 256-bit SSL. Powered by Stripe.