04:192:355 Study Guide - Final Guide: Silent Treatment, Ingratiation, Relational Transgression

72 views17 pages
25 May 2016
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Influencing each other: power - an individual"s ability to control or influence what another person does. Coercive: using punishments to change someone"s behavior. Referent: i want to be like or identify with this person. Expert: i believe this person knows what she is doing. Legitimate/objective: this person has a legitimate right to make a request, and i am obligated to comply, power-gaining strategies. Could you turn down the stereo, please? : effective in relationships with high levels of mutual respect and closeness. Bargaining agreeing to do something for someone if the person does something in return. I will not watch football on sunday if you give up smoking: equal couples tended to bargain more than unequal couples. Less powerful people tended to bargain than more powerful people. Aversive stimulation whining, sulking, complaining, crying, or acting angry to get one"s way. Ingratiation kissing up or sucking up using excessive kindness to get one"s way.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers