PSYCH 202 Study Guide - American Psychiatric Association, Personality Disorder, Psychopathology

23 views3 pages
30 Oct 2014
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Legal def of insanity: lack (1) capacity to control behavior; and/or (2) capacity to appreciate wrongfulness. Dsm, or diagnostic and statistical manual of the american psychiatric association, is nomenclature of psychopathology used in mental health. Dsm defintion of traits: enduring patterns of perceiving, relating to, and thinking about the envirnment and oneself that are exhibited in a wide range of social and personal conflicts. Multiaxial system used in dsm provides assessment along five categories describing mental health factors. People are diagnosed on all five factors rather than being given a specific label, which provides more complete picture of the person. Axis i: changeable, treatable, but not deletable, i. e. schizophrenia, mood disorders, anxiety disorders, etc. Axis ii: organic issues, can improve skills by reducing symptoms, but can"t change, ie. retardation, personality disorders. Axis iii: med. conditions relevant to psych, ie. obesity, eating disorders, alzheimer"s, parkinson"s. Axis iv: psychosocial stressors that may affect diagnosis i. e. unemployment, divorce, poverty, etc.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers