1 Ultimate Questions
Thinking About Philosophy
Nils Ch. Rauhut
2 Chapter Five: The Problem of Personal Identity
3 The Problem of Personal Identity
• Comprised of several questions about:
•If my values radically change, am I the same person?
•Am I one singular person or a combination of multiple people?
–Persistence of Time
•Why is my current self the same as my past self?
1• Qualitative identity: two things that look the same
• Numerical identity: one thing that is actually one and the same
5 Illusion Theory:
There is no permanent and unchanging self.
Problems with the Illusion Theory
• We will not exist as we are in the future, so why consider future consequences?
• The people we love and care about are not the same people that we met in the
• There is no justification for why we punish people in the present for crimes
committed in the past.
7 Body Theory (Animalism)
• We are identical to our biological bodies throughout time.
•We exist as long as our living bodies do.
•Ignores the possibility of life after death
•What happens when a pe