Premium

8 Pages

Department
Commerce
Course Code
COMM 222
Professor
Tony Bongiorno

This preview shows pages 1-2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 8 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 2: Personality and Learning What is personality?  Personality is so important that some companies focus on personality when hiring employees  Personality is the relatively stable set of psychological characteristics that influences the way an individual interacts with his or her environment and how he or she feels, thinks, and behaves o Personality summarizes his or her personal style of dealing with the world o It consists of a number of dimensions and traits that are determined in a complex way by genetic predisposition and by one’s long-term learning history Personality and Organizational Behavior  It was believed that personality was an important factor in many areas of organizational behavior including motivation, attitudes, performance, and leadership o Dispositional approach: focuses on individual dispositions and personality  Individuals are predisposed to behave in certain ways o Situational approach: characteristics of the organizational setting, such as rewards and punishment, influence people’s feelings, attitudes, and behavior  i.e.: job satisfaction and other work-related attitudes are determined by situational factors o Interactionist approach: to predict and understand organizational behavior, one must know something about an individual’s personality and the setting in which he or she works  Personality influences people’s attitudes and behavior depending on the situation  Trait activation theory: personality characteristics influence people’s behavior when the situation calls for a particular personality characteristics o key concept▯ “fit” by putting the right person in the right job, group, or organization and exposing different employees to different management styles Five Factor Model of Personality 1 1. Extraversion: sociable, outgoing, energetic, joyful, and assertive. Extraversion is important for jobs that require a lot of interpersonal interaction (sales management) where being sociable, assertive, ambitious is important for success  Sociable, talkative VS. withdrawn, shy 2. Emotional stability/Neuroticism: the degree to which a person has appropriate emotional control. People with high emotional stability▯self confident. People with low emotional stability ▯ self-doubt  Stable, confident vs. depressed, anxious 3. Agreeableness: the extent to which a person is friendly and approachable. Agreeable people are warm, considerate, friendly, sympathetic. Less agreeable people are aloof, uncooperative.  Tolerant, cooperative vs. cold, rude 4. Conscientiousness: the degree to which a person is responsible and achievement-oriented. More conscientious people▯ dependable, positively motivated, hard-working/ Less conscientious people▯ lazy, impulsive  Dependable, responsible vs. careless, impulsive 5. Openness to experience: the extent to which a person thinks flexibly and is receptive to new ideas  Curious, original vs. dull, unimaginative *These dimensions are relatively independent** *Evidence that they have a genetic basis** Research evidence  There is evidence that each dimension is related to job performance and organizational citizenship behaviors  Research has also noted that the big five are related to other work behaviors o i.e.; conscientiousness is related to retention and attendance at work and is also an important antidote for counterproductive behaviors like theft, disciplinary problems  Also found to be related to motivation o Neuroticism, conscientiousness  One’s personality can influence one’s attitudes and behaviors 2 Locus of Control  Refers to an individual’s beliefs about the location of the factors that control their behavior o Internals vs. externals o Internals see stronger links between the effort they put into their jobs and the performance level they achieve (more satisfied with their jobs, earn more money, perceive less stress) Self- Monitoring  The extent to which people observe and regulate how they appear and behave in social settings and relationships o Self monitors vs. low self-monitors o Self monitoring affects organizational behavior in the sense that it tends to gravitate towards jobs that require a degree of role-playing and the exercise of their self-presentation skills  i.e. sales, law, public relations o High self-monitors would have difficulty resisting social pressures (not always an advantage) Self- Esteem o The degree to which a person has a positive self-evaluation o The large difference between people with high and low self-esteem has to do with the plasticity of their thoughts, attitudes, behaviors – behavior plasticity o Organizations will generally benefit from a workforce with high self-esteem o They make more fulfilling career decisions, exhibit higher job satisfaction and job performance New Developments in Personality and Organizational Behavior A. Positive and Negative Affectivity o Positive affectivity▯ people who are high on this, experience positive emotions and moods, like joy and excitement and view the world in a positive light, including themselves and other people o Negative affectivity▯ people who experience negative emotions and moods like fear and anxiety and view the world in a negative light. They tend to be depressed and unhappy o Emotional dispositions that predict people’s general emotion tendencies o Influence people’s moods and attitudes at work 3 *These are independent dimensions* B. Proactive Personality  Taking initiative to improve one’s current circumstances or creating new ones  Involves challenging the status quo rather than passively adapting to present conditions  Proactive personality ▯ unconstrained by situational forces and act to change the environment C. General Self-Efficacy  A general trait that refers to an individual’s belief in his or her ability to perform successfully in a variety of challenging situations  Motivational trait rather than an affective trait because it reflects an individual’s belief that he or she can succeed at a variety of tasks rather than how an individual feels about him or herself D. Core Self-Evaluations  Individuals hold evaluations about themselves and their self-worth or worthiness, competence, and capability o Self esteem, self-efficacy, locus of control, neuroticism What is Learning?  Learning occurs when practice or experience lead
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit