POLI 352 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1-2: Allocative Efficiency

68 views2 pages
POLI352
Reading Notes
Chapter 1 -- What is local government?
- Local government is a slippery term
o Including all municipalities and all other governmental entities
Municipal Corporations in English cities
- Municipal corporations mainly known as municipalities, most important components of
Canadian local government
- Is legally entitled to do whatever its charter or statute says it can do
- Act on behalf of themselves and their residents
- Engage in commercial trading
- Most citizens recognize that they are regulated by 3 government, the federal, the provincial and
municipal.
Different Kinds of Canadian Municipalities
- Much of Caada’s territory is ot icluded i ay uicipality
- Most populated agricultural areas are covered by rural municipalities
Special-Purpose Bodies
- Very similar to municipal except that they are established to carry out a single governmental
function
- Those govern these are either democratically elected or appointed by people who are
democratically elected
- Some of these are almost as powerful as municipalities and others are so weak that they are
hardly like governments
Financial significance of local government
- I 1913, local goverets accouted for 3% of gov’t spedig i Caada ad 1% provinces
Conclusion
- We defined what local government is and looked at its financial significance
Chapter 2 Why Local government?
- the function of local government are generally related to some of the theoretical reasons why
local governments have been created in the first place
Imagining Provinces without Local Government
- provinces are central government
- the provinces would make all the decisions about matters within its constitutional sphere of
jurisdiction
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Including all municipalities and all other governmental entities. Municipal corporations mainly known as municipalities, most important components of. Is legally entitled to do whatever its charter or statute says it can do. Act on behalf of themselves and their residents. Most citizens recognize that they are regulated by 3 government, the federal, the provincial and municipal. Much of ca(cid:374)ada"s territory is (cid:374)ot i(cid:374)cluded i(cid:374) a(cid:374)y (cid:373)u(cid:374)icipality. Most populated agricultural areas are covered by rural municipalities. Very similar to municipal except that they are established to carry out a single governmental function. Those govern these are either democratically elected or appointed by people who are democratically elected. Some of these are almost as powerful as municipalities and others are so weak that they are hardly like governments. I(cid:374) 1913, local gover(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)ts accou(cid:374)ted for 3(cid:1010)% of gov"t spe(cid:374)di(cid:374)g i(cid:374) ca(cid:374)ada a(cid:374)d 1(cid:1011)% provinces. We defined what local government is and looked at its financial significance.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers