English (Arts)
Course
ENGL 226
Professor
Kait Pinder
Semester
Summer

Description
Langston Hughes Reading THE NEGRO ARTIST AND THE RACIAL MOUNTAIN BY LANGSTON HUGHES Identify • "One of the most promising of the young Negro poets said to me once, 'I want to be a poet--not a Negro poet'; meaning, i believe, 'I want to write like a white poet'; meaning subconsciously, 'I would like to be a white poet'; meaning behind that, 'I would like to be white.' […] But this is the mountain standing in the way of any true Negro art in America--this urge within the race towards whiteness, the desire to pour racial individuality into a mold of American standardization, and to be as little a Negro and as much American as possible" • "the present vogue in things Negro, although it may do as much harm as good for the budding artist, has at least done this: it has brought him forcibly to the attention of his own people among whom for so long, unless the other race had noticed him beforehand, he was a prophet with little honour." • "But jazz to me is one of the inherent expressions of Negro life in America" • "So I ashamed for the black poet who says, 'I want to be a poet, not a Negro poet,' as though his own racial world were not as interesting as any other world." Meaning • the rise of African Americ
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 226

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit