SOCI 210 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Mechanical And Organic Solidarity, Social Integration, Anomie

31 views2 pages

Document Summary

Society: group of people who live in definable community and share same culture. Societies defined by lenski in terms of technological sophistication; Increased productivity, rise of urban centers, emphasis on wealth. Rise in capitalism and social mobility, overcrowding and poverty. Economic production limited to amount of human labour available. I. e. hunter-gatherer societies: nomadic, strongest dependence on environment. I. e. pastoral: nomadic, rely on domestication of animals as resource for survival. I. e. horticultural societies: growth & cultivation of plants, permanent settlements. I. e. feudal: strict hierarchical system based around land ownership/protection. Preindustrial: small, rural, dependent largely on local resources. Industrial: dramatic rise in technological invention (steam power) Postindustrial: information societies, based on production of information and services. Three thinkers form base of modern-day perspectives, theoretical approaches that help understand the way a society functions: emile durkheim & functionalism: stress on interconnectivity of all elements in society. Social integration: key factor, strength of ties between people and their social group.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers