SOCI 388 Chapter Notes - Chapter Katz: Personal Boundaries, A Common Thread, The Sneaker

32 views5 pages
17 Mar 2018
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Katz: seduction of crime= moral and sensual attraction in doing evil: various property crimes share an appeal to young people, independent of material gain or esteem from peers. But the experience is not simply utilitarian and practical, it is eminently magical. In some accounts, the experience of seduction suggests a romantic encounter: through nothing more than the sheer power of a slight bit of deviant intention, a pocket can magically become alive. Is the outside of the perso(cid:374)"s fas(cid:272)i(cid:374)atio(cid:374) i(cid:374) dis(cid:272)o(cid:448)eri(cid:374)g his or her de(cid:448)ia(cid:374)t creativity: the tension of attraction/hesitation in moving toward the object is experienced within a broader awareness of how others are i(cid:374)terpreti(cid:374)g o(cid:374)e"s desires. The re-emergence of practiced reason: at some point toward al sneaky thrills, the person realizes that she must work to maintain a conventional, calm, appearance up to and through the point of exit. The timing of this stage, relative to others in the process, is not constant.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers