PSYC 271 Chapter Notes - Chapter 6: Cerebral Cortex, Simple Cell, Thalamus

42 views13 pages

Document Summary

Visual illusions: eye tricked into seeing things that they are not. Visual system creates even better images from external reality in which it was created. Case of mrs. richards: fortification illusions and the astronomer. Each illusion began with a gray area of blindness near center of visual field and expanded i(cid:374)to ho(cid:396)se shoe shapes zig zags took (cid:1006)(cid:1004) (cid:373)i(cid:374)utes fo(cid:396) he(cid:396) heada(cid:272)hes to (cid:271)egi(cid:374) Illusion slowly expanded, and she was able to stare at point on center of a blank sheet of paper and trace details of illusion. Told us that lines became thicker and expansion of area of blindness occurred faster as it spread to periphery. Light enters the eye and reaches the retina. No a(cid:374)i(cid:373)al (cid:272)a(cid:374) see i(cid:374) (cid:272)o(cid:373)plete da(cid:396)k(cid:374)ess . Light: 1) photons floating through space or 2) waves of electromagnetic energy between. 2 properties of light: wavelength/color (perception of color) and intensity/brightness (perception of brightness) Amount of light reaching retina regulated by irises.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers