BLG 143 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2: Hydroxy Group, Vaporization, Formaldehyde

114 views5 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 2 water and carbon: the chemical basis of life: for life to exist, spontaneous generation must have occurred at least once, early in. Earth"s histor(cid:455): chapter examines chemical evolution explanation for the origin life. The pattern component earl(cid:455) i(cid:374) earth"s histor(cid:455). Si(cid:373)ple (cid:272)he(cid:373)i(cid:272)al (cid:272)o(cid:373)pou(cid:374)ds (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:271)i(cid:374)ed to form more complex compound. The number of unpaired electrons in an atom is its valence. 2. 1 chemical bonding: atoms valence electrons are significant because an atom is most stable when its valence shell is filled. Shells can be filled through the formation of chemical bonds strong attractions that bind atoms together. The electrons spend most of their time close to the nucleus of the more electronegative atom. Ionic bond the transferring of electrons from one atom to another to stabilize all atoms. Ion an atom or molecule that carries a charge. Molecular formulas- they indicate only the numbers and types of atoms in a molecule.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers