BLG 143 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Hydrophile, Antibody, Protein Folding

92 views5 pages

Document Summary

3. 2 amino acids and polymerization: the prese(cid:374)(cid:272)e of a(cid:373)i(cid:374)o a(cid:272)ids i(cid:374) the (cid:862)(cid:373)i(cid:374)iature o(cid:272)ea(cid:374)(cid:863) supported miller"s (cid:272)lai(cid:373) that his experiment simulated the second stage in chemical evolution the formation of a prebiotic soup. 3. 2 the structure of amino acids: all amino acids have a central carbon atom that bond to nh2, cooh, h, and a variable side (cid:272)hai(cid:374) (cid:894)(cid:862)r-group(cid:863)(cid:895). In water (ph 7), the amino and carboxyl groups ionize to nh3 this helps amino acids stay in solution and makes them more reactive. The chemical behaviour of these amino acids depends on their size and shape. Recap: r-groups differ in their size, shape, reactivity, and interactions with water: nonpolar r-groups: hydrophobic; do not form hydrogen bonds; coalesce in water, polar r-groups: hydrophilic; form hydrogen bonds; readily dissolve in water. H is positive and t s is negative, g is positive at all temperatures.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers