CRM 102 Chapter Notes - Chapter 11: Group Conflict, Cultural Conflict, Advocacy Group

70 views5 pages

Document Summary

Instrumental marxism: begins with the assumptions that the state in capitalist societies serve the interest of the ruling or capitalist class. Look at relative autonomy to explain why many laws are enacted that do not represent the immediate interests of the capitalist class: be(cid:272)ause (cid:373)i(cid:374)i(cid:373)u(cid:373) (cid:449)age, (cid:449)elfare, dis(cid:272)ri(cid:373)i(cid:374)atio(cid:374) are(cid:374)"t thi(cid:374)gs that affect the capitalist class (dominate groups) Crime occurs when individuals acting on the conduct norms of their group are in violation of the conduct norms the dominate group has enacted into law. Interest group(vold) or social grouping (quinney) attempt to protect their own interests by influencing the creation and enforcement of the criminal law. The relative autonomy of the state functions to preserve the long-term interests of the capitalist system. This helps explain why many laws are enacted that do not represent the immediate interest of the capitalist class. The state and legal system are instruments that can be directly. Young, maclean, dekeseredy manipulated by the capitalist class.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers