ECN 104 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Marginal Utility, Demand Curve, Economic Equilibrium

65 views12 pages
23 Nov 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

3. 1: markets: some markets are local, while others are national or international. They all involve demand, supply, price, and quantity. In any time period, each buyer of a product will derive less satisfaction (or benefit, or utility) from each successive unit of the product consumed. The second big mac will yield less additional satisfaction to the consumer than the first, and the third still less than the second. That is, consumption is subject to diminishing marginal utility. The income effect i(cid:374)di(cid:272)ates that a lo(cid:449)er pri(cid:272)e i(cid:374)(cid:272)reased the pur(cid:272)hasi(cid:374)g po(cid:449)er of a (cid:271)u(cid:455)er"s (cid:373)o(cid:374)e(cid:455) i(cid:374)(cid:272)o(cid:373)e, enabling the buyer to purchase more of the product than she or he could buy before. The substitution effect suggests that at lower price buyers have the incentive to substitute what is now a less expensive product for other products that are now relatively more expensive. The product whose price has fallen is now a better deal relative to the other products.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers