Chapter 5

4 Pages

Department
Economics
Course Code
ECN 204
Professor
Thomas Barbiero

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
CHAPTER 5: Measuring the Economys Output
5.1 Measuring the Economys Performance: GDP
National Income accounting: techniques used to measure the overall production of
the economy and other related variables for the nation as a whole
Gross domestic product (GDP): total market value of all final goods and services
produced annually within the boundaries of Canada
omain measure of the economys performance
oA Monetary Measure
Avoiding Multiple Counting:
oTo avoid multiple counting, only final goods and services are counted
oFinal goods: Goods and services purchased for final use and not for resale or
further processing or manufacturing
oIntermediate goods are not counted
oIntermediate goods: Products purchased for resale or further processing or
manufacturing
GDP Excludes Nonproduction Transactions
oTwo types of nonproduction transactions:
1.Financial transactions
a. Public Transfer Payments (social insurance payments)
b. Private Transfer Payments (personal payments)
c.Stock-Market Transactions (buying and selling of stocks (and bonds))
2.Second-hand sales
Two Ways of Calculating GDP: Expenditures and Income Approach
oThe Expenditures Approach: Add up all the expenditures made for final goods
and services.
The Expenditures Approach adds up
personal consumption expenditures (C): expenditures by households on durable and
nondurable consumer goods and services
gross investment (Ig): expenditures for newly produced capital goods (machinery,
equipment, tools, and buildings) and for additions to inventories
government purchases (G): expenditures of all governments in the economy for final
goods and services
Net exports (Xn) = exports (X) imports (M)
GDP = C + IG+ G + XN
Net Investments: gross investments less consumption of fixed capital
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CHAPTER 5: Measuring the Economys Output 5.1 Measuring the Economys Performance: GDP National Income accounting: techniques used to measure the overall production of the economy and other related variables for the nation as a whole Gross domestic product (GDP): total market value of all final goods and services produced annually within the boundaries of Canada o main measure of the economys performance o A Monetary Measure Avoiding Multiple Counting: o To avoid multiple counting, only final goods and services are counted o Final goods: Goods and services purchased for final use and not for resale or further processing or manufacturing o Intermediate goods are not counted o Intermediate goods: Products purchased for resale or further processing or manufacturing GDP Excludes Nonproduction Transactions o Two types of nonproduction transactions: 1. Financial transactions a. Public Transfer Payments (social insurance payments) b. Private Transfer Payments (personal payments) c. Stock-Market Transactions (buying and selling of stocks (and bonds)) 2. Second-hand sales Two Ways of Calculating GDP: Expenditures and Income Approach o The Expenditures Approach: Add up all the expenditures made for final goods and services. The Expenditures Approach adds up personal consumption expenditures (C): expenditures by households on durable and nondurable consumer goods and services gross investment (Ig): expenditures for newly produced capital goods (machinery, equipment, tools, and buildings) and for additions to inventories government purchases (G): expenditures of all governments in the economy for final goods and services Net exports (Xn) = exports (X) imports (M) GDP = C + I +GG + X N Net Investments: gross investments less consumption of fixed capital www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit