Bridging the don: the prince edward viaduct getting approval. The prince edward viaduct, the bloor street viaduct was constructed in three sections: the don section, the rosedale section, the bloor section. Construction started on june 16, 1915 and it was fully opened for traffic on august 23, First proposal was made in 1901 & again in 1906 and 1907, it wasn"t until 1909 that serious consideration was being made: it was in that year that east toronto from north of danforth avenue to east as. Earlier in 1884, southernside riverside and leslieville neighborhoods had also been annexed, and these eastern suburbs were cut off from central toronto by the don and. Rosedale valleys: at the time there were only two bridges across the lower don river and they couldn"t accommodate the incr. amount of traffic as people moved east to take advantage of cheaper real estate.