MHR 505 (27)

OBXtra 2

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
Human Resources
MHR 505
Frank Miller

MHR 505 Week 6 OBXtra 2 Emotional Intelligence The Role of Emotions in the Workplace Emotional intelligence a form of social interaction that involves the ability to monitor ones own and others feelings and emotions and to use this information to guide ones thinking and actions EI has to do with knowing when and how to express emotions and understanding how to control them; has to do with our ability to deal with political environments, understand these environments, and grasp how to best handle situations in them EI enables us to grasp the needs and wants of others and respond accordingly Emotional Intelligence and Emotion Regulation Skills EI is measured using the Mayer-Salovey-Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test (MSCEIT) There are four components 1. Self-Awareness Refers to our ability to accurately perceive our emotions and to recognize a feeling as it happens This ability to self-monitor that is important to understanding ourselves and gaining valuable insights into our emotions Emotional self-awareness depends, in part, on our ability to adequately appraise our own internal goal states and coping potential and includes appraisal competence 2. Self-Management and Emotion Regulation Recent research has taught us that we can actually begin the emotion regulation process prior to finding ourselves in an emotionally charged situation Five distinct processes: 1. Situation selection select or avoid situations to get involved in 2. Situation modification if I find myself in a situation that triggers emotions, I can modify the situation to either minimizemaximize the degree of emotion that might be triggered www.notesolution.com
More Less

Related notes for MHR 505

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.