Chapter 7 Notes

6 Pages

Department
Law and Business
Course Code
LAW 122
Professor
Kernaghan Webb

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Chapter 7: The Nature and Creation of Contracts
Most ppl are unaware of the vast number of contracts they enter into every day. E.g. Buying a
book from a friend.
oContract: is an agreement that creates rights and obligations that can be enforced in law.
You were able to enter into that agreement b/c you both experienced a meeting of the
minds.
oMeeting of the Minds: is a mutual agreement to enter into a legal transaction on a particular
basis.
oExchange of Values: occurs when the parties each give up something. You both give up
something as part of the deal, you = money & your friend = the book.
A contractual relationship can continue even after there has been an exchange of value.
Indeed, one reason for entering a contract may be to reserve some rights and obligations
for the future.
For e.g. If you purchased a book from a bookseller who offers asatisfaction or
money back guarantee”, you would enjoy the right to a refund.
Contracts requires a number of distinct steps or elements:
i.The parties must have an intention to create legal relations.
ii.They must reach a mutual agreement through the process of offering and
acceptances.
iii.They must enter into a bargain by giving consideration.
COMPARING TORTS AND CONTRACTS
Source of ObligationsPrivityCompensatory
Damages Risk Management
TortsImposed by LawEnforceable regardless
of any agreement b/t
the parties
Place the plaintiff as if the
tort did not occur
May take a person by
surprise
May require more
than a person is able
to give
Contract
sVoluntarily created by
the partiesEnforceable only by or
against a party to the
contract
Place the plaintiff as if
contract perform
Always possible to
know the obligations
in advance
Always possible to
limit the obligations to
promises that can be
fulfilled
For more info, refer to Chpt 3 Notes pg 1
INTENTION TO CREATE LEGAL RELATIONS
A contract will not arise w/o an intention to create legal relations.
oIntention to Create Legal Relations: arises if a reasonable person would believe that the
parties intended to create legally enforceable agreement.
The court is concerned with what a reasonable person would have thought, not
necessarily with what the parties themselves actually thought. There are two
reasons for this:
i.A test of subjective intentions would be difficult to apply b/c a person could
easily lie at trail.
ii.An important goal of the law is to protect reasonable expectation.
1 of 6
www.notesolution.com
Chapter 7: The Nature and Creation of Contracts
The courts usually presume that an intention to create legal relations exists in a commercial
context, but not between friends or family members. However, the presumption can be rebutted,
or disapproved.
E.g. a business person may be able to convince a judge that while a commercial
agreement was contained in a formal document, it was not really intended to be legally
binding.
E.g. a son may be able to persuade a judge that while his mothers promise to pay his
tuition at business school was given within a family setting it really was intended to
create contractual obligations.
OFFER
The Nature of an Offer
The parties must have more than an intention to create legal relations. They must also enter
into a mutual agreement thru the process of offer and acceptance.
oOffer: is an indication of a willingness to enter into a contract on certain terms.
oOfferor: is the party who is offering to enter into the contract
oOfferee: is a party who is entitled to accept or reject an offer to enter into a contract.
Great care must be taken in making offers b/c a contract comes into existences as soon as the
offer is accepted. And once a contract comes into existences, neither party acting alone can alter
its contents or bring it to an end.
Consider the dangers of making an offer.E.g. suppose sent a message to your class website offer
to sell your cars, 10 ppl simultaneously show up at your door wanting to buy your vehicle, are
you contractually obligated to honour 10 contracts even tho you have only two cars to sell?.
Therefore, judges have developed guidelines for deciding which type of statements
quality as offers.
Invitation to Treat
The courts classify some statements not as an offer but rather an invitation to treat.
oInvitation to Treat: is an indication of a willingness to receive an offer. In other words, it is an
invitation for others to make offers.
The distinction b/t an offer and an invitation to treat depends on an objective test. A court will
ask how a reasonable person would interpret a particular statement in the circumstances.
Therefore, if your ad is classified as an invitation to treat, each response is an offer,
which you are free to accept or reject.
Communication of an Offer
A statement is not an offer unless it is communicated and received as an offer. As long as a
proposition is communicated and received as an offer, it usually does not have to take any
particular form (e.g. written document, made verbally, or conduct alone).
The Life of an Offer
An offer does not last forever. If it is accepted, it gives way to a contract. And if it is not accepted,
it may cease to exist in a variety of ways.
2 of 6
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 7: The Nature and Creation of Contracts Most ppl are unaware of the vast number of contracts they enter into every day. E.g. Buying a book from a friend. o Contract: is an agreement that creates rights and obligations that can be enforced in law. You were able to enter into that agreement bc you both experienced a meeting of the minds. o Meeting of the Minds: is a mutual agreement to enter into a legal transaction on a particular basis. o Exchange of Values: occurs when the parties each give up something. You both give up something as part of the deal, you = money & your friend = the book. A contractual relationship can continue even after there has been an exchange of value. Indeed, one reason for entering a contract may be to reserve some rights and obligations for the future. For e.g. If you purchased a book from a bookseller who offers a satisfaction or money back guarantee, you would enjoy the right to a refund. Contracts requires a number of distinct steps or elements: i. The parties must have an intention to create legal relations. ii. They must reach a mutual agreement through the process of offering and acceptances. iii. They must enter into a bargain by giving consideration. C OMPARING T ORTS AND C ONTRACTS Source of Obligations Privity Compensatory Risk Management Damages Torts Imposed by Law Enforceable regardlessPlace the plaintiff as i May take a person by of any agreement bt tort did not occur surprise the parties May require more than a person is able to give Contract Voluntarily created by Enforceable only by orPlace the plaintiff as i Always possible to s the parties against a party to thecontract perform know the obligations contract in advance Always possible to limit the obligations to promises that can be fulfilled For more info, refer to Chpt 3 Notes pg 1 INTENTION TO C REATE L EGAL R ELATIONS A contract will not arise wo an intention to create legal relations. o Intention to Create Legal Relations: arises if a reasonable person would believe that the parties intended to create legally enforceable agreement. The court is concerned with what a reasonable person would have thought, not necessarily with what the parties themselves actually thought. There are two reasons for this: i. A test of subjective intentions would be difficult to apply bc a person could easily lie at trail. ii. An important goal of the law is to protect reasonable expectation. 1 of 6 www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit