CHAPTER 6

5 Pages

Department
Human Resources
Course Code
MHR 405
Professor
George Baranyai

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
MHR 405 Ch.6 Notes
The importance of effective interpersonal and organization-wide communication:
Communication – process by which info is exchanged b/w a send and a receiver with
the goal of reaching mutual understanding, includes verbal, nonverbal, and written
communication
-effective management of organizational behaviour requires that companies help their
managers and supervisors to become more effective communicators
Communication process model:
-main components r sender, receiver, channel for transmission, barriers, + feedback loop
sender – person originating the message
-forms the message in his/her mind and then encodes it into a message that can be
transmitted (be encoded in words, gestures, pics, sounds, etc.)
receiver – person receiving the message
-must receive message, then decode/understand message trying not to let barriers, like
perceptual filters or the status of the sender, distort the decoding
Message – contains the thoughts and feelings that the communicator intends to evoke in
the receiver, 2 primary components:
1. thought or conceptual component – content of message, the words, ideas,
symbols, and concepts chosen to relay the message
2. feeling or emotional component – effect of message, from intensity, force,
and sometimes the gestures (in face-2-face situation) of the communicator, gives message
its full meaning
Feedback – any info that ppl receive about their behaviour or performance, its effect on
others, or comparison to a standard or expectation, occurs when the receiver gives
communicator with verbal/nonverbal response to message, then the original sender
becomes the receiver and receiver becomes the sender
-basically a 2-way transaction meaning each person communicating becomes sender and
receiver at 1 point
Nonverbal Communication:
Nonverbal communication – all elements of communication that don’t involve words,
includes tone of voice, pitch, loudness, body language, gestures, and laughs, 4
dimensions:
1. kinesis – study of body movements, include posture, its culturally bound and
there r no gestures that r interpreted in the same way in all cultures, like stress can
be tight fist or rubbing of temples
2. facial and eye behaviour – used to sense others emotional states, skill that’s
central to effective interpersonal communication and also forms part of what is
described as emotional intelligence (EI) (the ability to recognize and manage
emotion in 1self and in others), 6 universal facial expressions: happiness, fear,
sadness, surprise, anger, and disgust, eye contact and other facial expressions
www.notesolution.com
(frowns, rasied eyebrows, and wrinkled foreheads) must be interpreted in
conjunction with the actors, the situation, and the culture
3. speech variations (paralanguage) include pitch, loudness, tempo, tone,
duration, laughing, and crying, ppl often make inaccurate attributions about
sender when deciphering voice cues, like high-pitched, breathy voice in female
may lead to stereotype of “dumb blonde
4. use of interpersonal space (proxemics) – study of interpersonal space across
cultures is proxemics, ppl often become uncomfortable when operating in
territorial spaces diff from those in which they r familiar, large personal space in
cool climates, opposite in warm
barriers to communication:
barriers to communication – factors that block/really distort successful communication,
some barriers r interpersonal and organizational, barriers include:
1. perceptual screens – windows thru which we interact with ppl in the world and r
composed of the individual factors each person brings, like age, gender, values,
beliefs, past experiences, cultural influences, and individual needs
-r like stereotyping, selective perception, 1st impression error, projection, self-
fulfilling prophecies, and attributions
-communicator’s and receiver’s perceptual screens influence quality, accuracy,
and clarity of message
2. language, ambition, and jargon – when native language of supervisor and
employees differ, barrier exists, dialects within same language can cause
confusion and miscommunication, jargon is like when 2 ppl r talking about the
same topic but each person calls it by a different name there4 confusing the other
person and problems occur
3. status differences and filtering – status differences relate to organization
hierarchy where like employees and supervisors try to modify the way they same
something based on the status of another person, try to act big
-filtering – deleting, delaying, or softening negative info as it moves up the
hierarchy so it sounds more favorable, ppl at lower organizational levels fear
sending bad news up to higher levels, info that is sensitive and critical to
organizational performance maybe lost
4. gender differences in communication – diff in way males/females
communicate, like women r less likely than men to be direct when telling others
what to do, more ex. on p.175
5. cultural differences in communication – like when ppl r from diff cultural
backgrounds, and talking to each other, what receiver understands may not be
same as what speaker means, aside from the 6 universal expressions (mentioned
b4), cultural diffs like individualism vs. collectivism and power distance (ch2)
have implications for cross-cultural communication
-cross-cultural communicators need to understand the diff b/w high and low
context cultures
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
MHR 405 Ch.6 Notes The importance of effective interpersonal and organization-wide communication: Communication process by which info is exchanged bw a send and a receiver with the goal of reaching mutual understanding, includes verbal, nonverbal, and written communication -effective management of organizational behaviour requires that companies help their managers and supervisors to become more effective communicators Communication process model: -main components r sender, receiver, channel for transmission, barriers, + feedback loop sender person originating the message -forms the message in hisher mind and then encodes it into a message that can be transmitted (be encoded in words, gestures, pics, sounds, etc.) receiver person receiving the message -must receive message, then decodeunderstand message trying not to let barriers, like perceptual filters or the status of the sender, distort the decoding Message contains the thoughts and feelings that the communicator intends to evoke in the receiver, 2 primary components: 1. thought or conceptual component content of message, the words, ideas, symbols, and concepts chosen to relay the message 2. feeling or emotional component effect of message, from intensity, force, and sometimes the gestures (in face-2-face situation) of the communicator, gives message its full meaning Feedback any info that ppl receive about their behaviour or performance, its effect on others, or comparison to a standard or expectation, occurs when the receiver gives communicator with verbalnonverbal response to message, then the original sender becomes the receiver and receiver becomes the sender -basically a 2-way transaction meaning each person communicating becomes sender and receiver at 1 point Nonverbal Communication: Nonverbal communication all elements of communication that dont involve words, includes tone of voice, pitch, loudness, body language, gestures, and laughs, 4 dimensions: 1. kinesis study of body movements, include posture, its culturally bound and there r no gestures that r interpreted in the same way in all cultures, like stress can be tight fist or rubbing of temples 2. facial and eye behaviour used to sense others emotional states, skill thats central to effective interpersonal communication and also forms part of what is described as emotional intelligence (EI) (the ability to recognize and manage emotion in 1self and in others), 6 universal facial expressions: happiness, fear, sadness, surprise, anger, and disgust, eye contact and other facial expressions www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit