Human Resources Management Chapter 8

6 Pages

Department
Human Resources
Course Code
MHR 523
Professor
Kristyn Scott

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
CHAPTER 8 MHR
ORIENTING EMPLOYEES
-strategic approach to recruitment and retention of employees includes a well-integrated orientation
program both BEFORE and AFTER hiring
PURPOSE OF ORIENTATION PROGRAMS
-Employee orientation (onboarding): a procedure for providing new employees with basic background
information about the firm and the job; it can also reduce the number of workplace injuries, particularly
for young workers
-Essence of orientation:
1) introduce people to the culture
2) give them a common bond
3)teach the importance of teamwork in a workplace
4)provide the tools and information to be successful
-socialization: the ongoing process of instilling in all employees the prevailing attitudes, standards,
values, and patterns of behaviour that are expected by the organization
-reality shock: the states that results from the discrepancy between what the new employee expects
from his or her new job and the realities from it
-effective orientation program involves discussing work-related goals with new employee to provide
basis for early feedback and establish a foundation for ongoing performance management
-online onboarding systems are being used to engage employees more quickly and accelerate employee
performance
CONTENT OF ORIENTATION PROGRAMS
-Usually given the following:
1) handbook *disclaimers should be made to make clarifications
2)tour of company
3) explanation of job procedures, duties, and responsibilities
4) summary of training to be received
5) explanation of performance appraisal
RESPONSIBILITY FOR ORIENTATION
-a mentor or another employee may be assigned to new employees for the first few weeks
SPECIAL ORIENTATION SITUATIONS
1) Diverse Workforce
2) Mergers and Acquisitions
-a new company culture will evolve in the merged organization, and everyone will experience
resocialization process
www.notesolution.com
3) Union versus Non-union employees
4) Multi-location Organizations
PROBLEMS WITH ORIENTATION PROGRAMS
-too much information is provided in a short period of time
-little or no orientation is provided
-information provided is too broad
-information provided is too detailed
EVALUATION OF ORIENTATION PROGRAMS
-evaluate whether they are providing timely, useful information to new employees in a cost-effective
manner
-3 approaches:
1) Employee reaction
2) Socialization effects
3) Cost/benefit analysis (comparing costs with benefits)
EXECUTIVE INTEGRATION
Key aspects:
- identifying position specifications (particularly the ability to deal with and overcome jealousy)
- providing realistic information to job candidates and providing support regarding reality shock
-]vPZv][À]}µ}ul]vP}Pv]}vov]]}v
-announcing the hiring with enthusiasm
-stressing the importance if listening as well as demonstrating competency, and promoting more time
spent talking with the boss
-assisting new executives who are balancing their work to change cultural norms while they thensekves
are part of the culture itself
THE TRAINING PROCESS
-Training: the process of teaching employees the basic skills/competencies that they need to perform
their jobs
-training Æ skills and competencies needed to perform
developmentÆ training of a long-term nature
-it is important to treat training as a strategic investment in human capital
-skills in greatest need of improvement are problem solving, communications, and teamwork
-training can strengthen employee commitment
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CHAPTER 8 MHR ORIENTING EMPLOYEES -strategic approach to recruitment and retention of employees includes a well-integrated orientation program both BEFORE and AFTER hiring PURPOSE OF ORIENTATION PROGRAMS -Employee orientation (onboarding): a procedure for providing new employees with basic background information about the firm and the job; it can also reduce the number of workplace injuries, particularly for young workers -Essence of orientation: 1) introduce people to the culture 2) give them a common bond 3)teach the importance of teamwork in a workplace 4)provide the tools and information to be successful -socialization: the ongoing process of instilling in all employees the prevailing attitudes, standards, values, and patterns of behaviour that are expected by the organization -reality shock: the states that results from the discrepancy between what the new employee expects from his or her new job and the realities from it -effective orientation program involves discussing work-related goals with new employee to provide basis for early feedback and establish a foundation for ongoing performance management -online onboarding systems are being used to engage employees more quickly and accelerate employee performance CONTENT OF ORIENTATION PROGRAMS -Usually given the following: 1) handbook *disclaimers should be made to make clarifications 2)tour of company 3) explanation of job procedures, duties, and responsibilities 4) summary of training to be received 5) explanation of performance appraisal RESPONSIBILITY FOR ORIENTATION -a mentor or another employee may be assigned to new employees for the first few weeks SPECIAL ORIENTATION SITUATIONS 1) Diverse Workforce 2) Mergers and Acquisitions -a new company culture will evolve in the merged organization, and everyone will experience resocialization process www.notesolution.com 3) Union versus Non-union employees 4) Multi-location Organizations PROBLEMS WITH ORIENTATION PROGRAMS -too much information is provided in a short period of time -little or no orientation is provided -information provided is too broad -information provided is too detailed EVALUATION OF ORIENTATION PROGRAMS -evaluate whether they are providing timely, useful information to new employees in a cost-effective manner -3 approaches: 1) Employee reaction 2) Socialization effects 3) Cost/benefit analysis (comparing costs with benefits) EXECUTIVE INTEGRATION Key aspects: - identifying position specifications (particularly the ability to deal with and overcome jealousy) - providing realistic information to job candidates and providing support regarding reality shock -ZZZZ]L2 Z L]š[Z‰ŒÀ]}µZŒ }ŒšKl]L2}Œ2L]Ìš]}LošŒLZ]š]}LZ -announcing the hiring with enthusiasm -stressing the importance if listening as well as demonstrating competency, and promoting more time spent talking with the boss -assisting new executives who are balancing their work to change cultural norms while they thensekves are part of the culture itself THE TRAINING PROCESS -Training: the process of teaching employees the basic skills/competencies that they need to perform their jobs -training Æ skills and competencies needed to perform developmentÆ training of a long-term nature -it is important to treat training as a strategic investment in human capital -skills in greatest need of improvement are problem solving, communications, and teamwork -training can strengthen employee commitment www.notesolution.com TRAINING AND LEARNING -training effectiveness can be enhanced by identifying learning styles and personalizing the training accordingly 1) Provide the trainees with an overall picture of the material presented 2) Make sure that it is easy to transfer new skills and behaviours from the training site to the job site 3) Motivate the trainee 4) effectively prepare the trainee LEGAL ASPECTS OF TRAINING -under human rights and employment equity legislation, several aspects of employee training must be ZZZZÁ]šZLÇš}ÁŒšZ‰Œ}2ŒK[Z]K‰ š}LZ]2Lš2Œ}µ‰KKŒZ -negligent training: occurs when an employer fails to train adequately, and an employee subsequently harms a third party THE FIVE-STEP TRAINING PROCESS 1) Needs Analysis -identify the specific job performance skills needed, to analyze the skills and needs of the prospective trainees, and to develop specific, measurable knowledge and performance objectives 2) Instructional Design -the actual content of the training program is compiles and produced, including workbooks, exercises, and activities 3) Validation -šZZµ2Z[ŒÁ}Œl}µš}šZšŒ]L]L2‰Œ}2ŒKljŒZLš]L2]šš}small representative audience 4) Implementation 5) Evaluation STEP 1: TRAINING NEEDS ANALYSIS -2 main techniques: 1) Task analysis: a detailed study of a job to identify the skills and competencies it requires so that an appropriate training program can be instituted 2) Performance analysis: verifying that there is a performance deficiency and determining whether that deficiency should be rectified through training or through some other means (such as transferring the employee) TASK ANALYSIS: ASSESSING THE TRAINING NEEDS OF NEW EMPLOYEES -used for determining the training needs of employees who are new to their jobs TASK ANALYSIS RECORD FORM www.notesolution.com - }LZ}o]šZ]L}ŒKš]}LŒ2Œ]L2šZE}[ZŒ‹µ]ŒšZlZLZl]ooZ]L}ŒKšZš]ZZ‰ ]ooÇZo‰µo for determining training requirement 1) Column 1Æ task list: lists the main tasks and subtasks 2) Col
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit