PSY 102 Chapter Notes - Chapter 5: Near-Death Experience, Sleep Paralysis, Scholarly Approaches Of Mysticism

50 views9 pages

Document Summary

Consciousness: our subjective experience of ourselves and the world around us, constantly changing awareness of our thoughts, feelings, bodily sensations, blurred lines between sleeping and waking experiences. Level of alertness adapts to shifting demands of daily life (selective attention, cocktail part effect) Alterations of consciousness: out-of-body experiences, near death experiences, sleep paralysis, mystical experiences. Biology of sleep: 1/3 of our life is spent sleeping, sleep is essential for, consolidating memories, function of immune system, neural development and connectivity, clea(cid:374)i(cid:374)g out (cid:862)de(cid:271)(cid:396)is(cid:863) beta-amyloid proteins, energy conservation. Who needs sleep: most people need around 8-9 of sleep, research suggests you get closer to 6, when you sleep and wake matters, students who sleep and wake early, tend to perform better. Sleep deprivation consequences: go i(cid:374)to (cid:862)sleep de(cid:271)t(cid:863, short term: dep(cid:396)essio(cid:374), atte(cid:374)tio(cid:374) issues, lea(cid:396)(cid:374)i(cid:374)g diffi(cid:272)ulties, slo(cid:449) rt"s, hallu(cid:272)i(cid:374)atio(cid:374)s. Longer term: weight gain, increased risk for high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular problems, reduced immune system response.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers