PSY 102 Chapter 4: Chapter 4

44 views5 pages

Document Summary

Illusion per(cid:272)eptio(cid:374) i(cid:374) (cid:449)hi(cid:272)h the (cid:449)ay (cid:449)e per(cid:272)ei(cid:448)e a sti(cid:373)ulus does(cid:374)"t (cid:373)at(cid:272)h its physi(cid:272)al realty. Sensation detection of physical energy be sense organs, which then send information to the brain. Perception the (cid:271)rai(cid:374)"s i(cid:374)terpretatio(cid:374) of these ra(cid:449) se(cid:374)sory i(cid:374)puts. Sensations allows us to pick up the signals in our environments and perception allows us to assemble these signals into something meaningful. Transduction process of converting an external energy or substance into electrical activity within neurons. Sense receptor specialized cell responsible for converting external stimuli into neural activity for a specific sensory system. Psychophysics the study of how we perceive sensory stimuli based on their physical characteristics. Absolute threshold the lowest lever of a stimulus needed for the nervous system to detect a change 50% of the time. Just noticeable difference the smallest change in the intensity of a stimulus that we can detect. We(cid:271)er"s la(cid:449) principle stating there is a constant proportional relationship between the jnd and original stimulus intensity.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers