Psychology
Course
PSYC 1000
Professor
Harvey Marmurek
Semester
Summer

Description
Course: PSYC*1000 (DE) Professor: Harvey Marmurek Schedule: Summer, 2012 Textbook: Psychology – Tenth Edition in Modules authored by David G. Myers Textbook ISBN: 9781464102615 Module 35: Introduction to Emotion Cognition and Emotion How do arousal and expressive behaviours interact in emotion? Emotions are a mix of bodily, arousal (heart pounding), expressive behaviours, and conscious experience. How do these pieces fit together? - Does your bodily arousal come before or after your emotional feelings? - How do thinking (cognition) and feeling interact? Does cognition always come before emotion? Historical Emotion Theories • James-Lange Theory: Arousal Comes Before Emotion o Cry because we are sad, lash out because we are angry, tremble because we are afraid. William James has things backward. We feel sorry because we cry, angry because we strike, afraid because we tremble. Carl Lange (Danish physiologist). James and Lange would say that I noticed my heart racing and then shaking with fright, felt the whoosh of emotion. Feeling of fear followed body’s response. • Cannon-Bard Theory: Arousal and Emotion Occur Simultaneously o Physiologist Walter Cannon (1871-1945) o Philip Bard o Bodily responses and experienced emotions occur separately but simultaneously o Means – my heart began pounding as I experienced fear  The emotion-triggering stimulus traveled to my sympathetic nervous system, causing my body’s arousal. At the same time, it traveled to my brain’s cortex, causing my awareness of my emotion. o Challenged by studies of people with severed spinal cords  Lower-spine injuries – reported little change in their emotions’ intensity  High spinal cord injury – reported changes; some reactions were much less intense than before; but those emotions felt above the neck were more intense (crying, lumps in throat) o Most researchers now agree that our emotions also involve cognition According to the Cannon-Bard theory, (a) our physiological response to a stimulus (for example, a pounding heart) and (b) the emotion we experience (for example, fear) occur (simultaneously). According to the James-Lange theory (a) and (b) occur (sequentially). Cognition Can Define Emotion: Schachter and Singer To experience emotions, must we consciously interpret and label them? Stanley Schachter and Jerome Singer (1962) • An emotional experience requires a conscious interpretation of arousal: Our physical reactions and our thoughts (perceptions, memories, and interpretations) together create emotion. • Two-factor theory – emotions have two ingredients: physical arousal and cognitive appraisal. • How does receiving good news affect your previous mood (finishing a run, bad day or waking from a nap) • Spillover effect – injected college men with hormone epinephrine; placebo or real effects? Catching the emotion of the other person in the waiting room. • Daniel Gilbert noted: Feelings that one interprets as fear in the presence of a sheer drop may be interpreted as lust in the presence of a sheer blouse. • Arousal fuels emotion; cognition channels it According to Schachter and Singer, two factors lead to our experience of an emotion: (1) physiological arousal and (2) cognitive appraisal. Cognition May Not Precede Emotion: Zajonc, LeDoux, and Lazarus Is the heart always subject to the mind? • Fruit flavoured drink drank 50% more after subliminally seeing happy face than those seeing neutral face; those seeing angry face drank substantially less • Joseph LeDoux (2002) says our emotions take the ‘low road’ – a neutral shortcut that travel from the eye or ear (again via the thalamus) directly to the amygdala. This shortcut, bypassing the cortex, enables our greased-lightning emotional response before our intellect intervenes. Like speedy reflexes that also operate apart from the brain’s thinking cortex, the amygdala reactions are so fast that we may be unaware of what’s transpired. • The amygdala send more neural projections up to the cortex than it receives back, which makes it easier for our feelings to hijack our thinking than for our thinking to rule our feelings. **sound of a bush moving – up to cortex to decide if it was a snake or the wind; Zajonc’s belief that some of our emotional reactions invoke no deliberate thinking. • Richard Lazarus (emotional researcher) brains process vast amounts of info without our conscious awareness, and that some emotional responses do not require conscious thinking. Much of our emotional life operaes via the automatic, speedy low road. But, he asked, how would we know what we are reacting to if we did not in some way appraise the situation? Emotions arise when we appraise an event as harmless or dangerous, whether we truly know it is or not. Two pathways for emotions: Zajonc and LeDoux have emphasized that some emotional responses are immediate, before any conscious appraisal. Lazarus, Schachter, and Singer emphasized that our appraisal and labelling of events also determine our emotional responses. Neuroscientists are charting the neural pathways of both ‘bottom-up’ and ‘top-down’ emotions. Zajonc/LeDoux = Emotional Response  Appraisal  Event Lazarus/Schachter/Singer = Emotional Response  Event  Appraisal Zajonc and LeDoux – demonstrated that some emotional responses – especially simple likes, dislikes and fears – involve no conscious thinking. Lazarus, Schachter and Singer – predicted, our memories, expectations, and interpretations also influence our feelings about politics; may personalize events as being somehow directed at them, and they may generalize their experiences by blowing single incidents out of proportion. Thus, learning to think more positively can help people feel better. Summary of Emotion Theories Theory Explanation of Emotions Example James-Lange Our awar
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 1000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit