PSYC 2650 (226)
Chapter 15

Chapter 15.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
PSYC 2650
Anneke Olthof

Chapter 15 The Cognitive Unconscious Definition Activity of which we are completely unaware, but that makes out ordinary interactions with the world possible Freud proposed -Combat anxiety by pushing anxious thoughts out of consciousness (into unconscious mind) -unconscious mind has own set of logic and goals Modern Psychologist -disagree with Frued -support that the cognitive unconscious supports conscious mind and thus does not have own logic and goals Unconscious Processes, Conscious Products Aware of -products created in our mind -thus can report our beliefs, conclusions we have made, what we are perceiving at any given moment Unaware of -processes that led to these products -thus, do not know steps that allowed us to form our beliefs, perceptions and conclusions Example 1 What is mother’s name? Know the product: the name Unaware of process: activation that spread to node for mother’s name Example 2 Two groups, one presented with 1. CQRN other presented with 2. CORN As dicussed in ch3 – both groups likely to perceive CORN Both groups ended with same product, but individuals within group likely do not know which group they were put in (presented with CORN or CQRN) Example 3 From ch 7 -> memory errors When one commits a memory error, they are unaware of process because don’t know if they are genuinely remembering something or making an inference The Influence of Unconscious Attributions CASUAL ATTRIBTION -making attributions and inferences to reason about the cause -demonstrates how much of cognitive processes occurs unconsciously a. Implicit memory ch 6 -previous experience aids a task -name sounds familiar, thus I’ll answer yes to experimenter that, that name is of someone who is famous b. Source confusion ch 6 -face seems familiar, police think it is likely that this person robbed me, thus face must be familiar because this person robbed me Study by Nisbett and Schacter -demonstrated unconscious casual reasoning -Participants given shock, severity of shock increased after each trail 2 GROUPS 1. Given PILL a. Told it would reduce pain b. Told side effects would be : shaky hands, butterflies in their stomach, irregular breathing c. Actually a placebo 2. NOT given pill RESULTS Those given PILL, were willing to take more shocks than those who were NOT given pill  Accepted 4 times as much amperage (strength of current of electricity) EXPLANATION GIVEN PILL  attributed shakiness and butterflies in their stomach to the pill, thus had to look for other physical symptoms that showed that they were scared -less influences by physical symptoms, aka somatic markers NOT GIVEN PILL – attribute shakiness and butterflies in their stomach to the fact that they are scared, thus conclude shocks must be bothering me -terminates shocks earlier REASONING ABOUT PILL IS UNCONSCIOUS Know they included pill in their reasoning because: those who received and did not receive pill acted differently Unconscious because a. Asked why they took a lot of shocks: did not mention pill b. Asked directly, while you were taking shock did you think about pill: said “I was too worried about the shocks to think about anything else” Mistaken Introspection 1. EXPERIMENT – passage 1 group -read expert from Rabbit Run -asked to describe the emotional impact the expert had on them -asked what caused this emotional kick? 86% reported same passage, describing messiness of babies’ crib nd 2 group -read same passage, but the passage about the baby was taken out -reacted to the expert in the same way as the 1 group CONCLUSION Our inferences regarding why we behaved the way we did are often incorrect Also called – after the fact reconstructions  We are unable to consciously evaluate the process  Make inference on info from the product (not process) and thus are “after the fact” reconstructions  Eg may have thought unconsciously, this passage makes me feel emotional, what commonly makes people emotional? Babies SMOKIN AD – moose camel smoking, playing pool and wearing clothes suited to young people -received critism for encouraging young people to smoke -when young people asked why they smoked, did not refer to ad -but as the above experiment show, we do not always know why we act the way we do, thus young people may be wrong Unconscious Guides to Conscious Thinking Two unconscious guides that influence our problem solving 1. Set a. Unnoticed assumptions and definitions that guide our search for the solution when problem solving b. Advantage: keep us on tract + focused, prevents us
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2650

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.