SOC 3750 Chapter 14-19: CHAPTER 14 TO CHAPTER 19

33 Pages

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOC 3750
Professor
Patrick Parnaby

This preview shows pages 1,2,3,4. Sign up to view the full 33 pages of the document.
Description
1 PERSONALITY TEXTBOOK NOTES TERM THREE CHAPTER FOURTEEN Selfconcept understanding of yourself. Selfesteem how you feel about yourself. Social identity how you present yourself to others. Sometimes social identity doesnt match selfconcept. To most people, sense of self is an anchor, a starting point for interpreting everything around them. Sense of self is constantly changing, High school and college are years in which many people struggle in defining their selfconcept, and a time when people are sensitive to events that challenge their sense of self. Once people have a stable sense of themselves, they begin to use that to evaluate events and objects in the world. Our sense of who we are leads us to evaluate events in the world in certain ways. Only events important to sense of self will have strong impact on us. Who we are, our selfconcept determines how we relate to and evaluate the events of the world. Social identity is the self shown to other people. It is relatively enduring that we use to create an impression, and let others know who we are and what can be expected of us. DESCRIPTIVE COMPONENT OF THE SELF: SELFCONCEPT Knowledge of the self does not happen all at once. It develops overtime, starting at infancy, accelerating during teens ad reaching completion in old age. The selfconcept is the basis for understanding ourselves, and forms the answer to the question who am I? DEVELOPMENT OF SELFCONCEPT First glimmer of selfconcept happens at infancy where child learns some things are always there (ex: body) and some things are only there sometimes (ex: moms breast). Child makes distinction between itself and everything else, it discovers boundaries between what is me and what is not. This distinction forms the rudimentary sense of self awareness of own body. Red dot test selfrecognition in mirror. Un normal children, selfrecognition in mirror happens around 18 months. There is some variability with some at 15 months and some at 24. Children need selfrecognition to pretend play and use personal pronouns (I, me, mine). Selfrecognition is important to developmental achievement that allows children to go onto more complex manifestations of selfawareness, such as pretend play and representing the self with personal pronouns.
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1,2,3,4 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit