ANTA02 – In Search of Respect; Chapter 7
FAMILIES AND CHILDREN IN PAIN
Street culture’s children:
Psychology: Bulk of adult character determined in infancy, most battered children (or ones that witness
violence) are virtually irremediable by 6-8y.o.
- In psych theory street people in ElBarrio qualify as antisocial sociopaths b/w of early childhood
- But individualistic, psychological-deterministic view disregards larger politic-econ and cultural
context – limited by focusing on individual neurosis & cultural/class biases of survey methods.
- Historical processes and the effects of unequal power relations on class/ethnicity/gender
Restructuring of NYC economy & history of P.rican immigration = changed family organization.
- For poorer houses these changes = disruptive leading to household degeneration, victim=children.
- Problem related to the contradictory shifts in gender power rel’ns since motherhood is fixed, while
women’s rights and structure of traditional family have transformed.
- Mothers have the exclusive responsibility for nurturing children even though they may not be
willing to sacrifice their individual freedom unconditionally to raise kids.
Results in parenting vacuum – mothers take to the streets – expressed statistically as increase in
child neglect/abuse cases.
By default, street culture becomes socializing force when fragmented families force children to
take refuge on streets.
Children = vulnerable to:
Dynamic of brutality where victim internalize the social structures that dominate them to the pt
that they eventually take charge of administering their own self destruction.
- Ex. Stories told or pictures drawn of sad, violent scenes – or by gradually entering drug dealing.
Candy’s daughter got gang raped by a guy (she ran with to escape family meltdown) and his 2 friends.
- Mom: acknowledged that it was rape despite street culture’s double-standard denial of gang sex
as form of violence.
Removed fault from daughter saying she was scared & felt life was in danger though admitting
that they weren't violent with her – relieved b/c daughter wasn’t impregnated.
Other than giving her birth control, mom mobilized men in her life to beat-up daughter’s friend’s
mom (bc friend=hoe).
xample of how vulnerable prey on one another and internalize structural
- Male peers: exonerate rapists and denounce victim.
She got influenced/conned into doing shit but not raped.
She knew what she was doing/getting into b/c she wanted to be hanging out on the street
(looking out the window w/longing). Rapists exonerated because she lacked remorse & failed to follow traditional solution (est