Chapter 8 – Myths of Hermes, Pan,
Hephaestus and Ares
Hermes, God of Wayfarers
• Hermes (He of the stone heap)
• Herm is a set of erect phallus to ward off intruders
• Hermes protects travelers from thieves taking what they want with
intelligence and stealth.
• Carry Caduceas – staff interwined with two snakes copulating
• He protects Orators and as a psychopompos (soul guide) leadsdead
into house of Hades
• He slayed the 100 armed dragon Argus whom Hera set to watch over
IO, a mistress of Zeus so was called Argeiphontes, slayer of Argus.
The Homeric Hymn to Hermes
• Trickster god, Son of Zeus and Mia
• When only several years old, invented the lyre(midday) , stole brother
Apollo’s cattle (evening) then lied about it to Apollo and Zeus
• 7 stringed Lyre made from tortoise shell and gut of a sheep • Craving meat stole the cattle by cutting off 50 head and persuading
old man no to tell and wearing sandals to hide tracks
• He sacrificed meat to gods (12) as he could not eat it but only aroma.
He fed cows well and used wood fire to do it.
• Hermes goes back to act as a baby
• The old man told Apollo about wings so he knew it was Hermes and
went to his cave
• Hermes wouldn’t admit it as he was just a baby so he took him to
• He ordered Hermes to tell him