PSYB32H3 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3&5: Mental Disorder, Personality Disorder, Intellectual Disability
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
Current definition of mental disorder
- a clinically significant behavioural or psychological syndrome or pattern that
occurs in an individual and that is associated with present distress (e.g. a
painful symptom) or disability (i.e., impairment in one or more important
areas of functioning) or with a significantly increased risk of suffering death,
pain, disability, or an important loss of freedom.
Five dimensions of classification
- Axis 1 – All diagnostic categories except personality disorders and mental
- Axis 2 – Personality disorders and mental retardation
- Axis 3 – General medical conditions
- Axis 4 – Psychosocial & environmental problems the person is experiencing
- Axis 5 – Current level of functioning
Theory – set of propositions meant to explain a class of phenomena. It’s what is
usually tested when experiments are done. Where hypothesis usually come from.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version