Chapter 1 Part 1 This note includes the powerpoint information plus all the blanks and extra information on this lecture.
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Lecture One: Intro and Chapter 1 Part 1
Slide: Required Text
- No responsible for the American stats, Canadian stats will be given instead
Slide: What is Health?
- Health is a state of complete physical mental and social well- being and not merely the absence
of disease or infirmity
- Health is, therefore, seen as a resource for everyday life … Health is a positive concept
emphasizing social and personal resources, as well as physical capabilities.
- More than just our physical being it’s a resource for our lives
Slide: What is Wellness?
- An expanded idea of health
- Health is more about your health and illness
- Wellness is the ability to live life fully, with vitality and meaning (even though someone might
have a disability that doesn’t mean that they are not healthy)
- Largely determined by the decisions you make about how you live your life (how you choose to
live your life, personal choice, personal being)
- Not a static goal but a dynamic process of change and growth
- Encompasses 7 interrelated dimensions
Slide: 7 Dimensions of Wellness
- These 7 dimensions interact continuously, influencing and being influenced by one another
- Physical Wellness
- Emotional Wellness
- Intellectual Wellness
- Interpersonal Wellness
- Spiritual Wellness
- Environmental Wellness
- Occupational Wellness
Slide: 1) Physical Wellness
- Requires healthy eating, exercise, learning about disease, getting regular check-ups, etc.
- Influences quality of life and how many years you will live
- Health-Related Quality of life- a personal sense of physical and mental health., requires a full
range of functional capacity to enable people to work, play, and maintain satisfying relationships
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version