Political Ideologies and the Democratic Ideal
Democratic Ideal (Page 19-24)
29 September 2011
- democracy is desirable
- however even if a state clams to be democratic, it may not be (with holding
- how do you get democracy?
- how do you bring it?
- Chairman Mao was a leader of a "people's democratic dictatorship" in China for
more than 30 years
- may say that democracy is an ideal that most ideologies espose
- it is an essentially contested concept
- democracy is from the Greek word "demokratia"
- demos = people or common people
- kratein = to rule
- in Greece, the aristocrats believed the experts should rule (they were wise
enough to govern)
- in Greece, citizens were adu